1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

A promise kept!!

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by anwebb, Nov 9, 2010.

1. anwebb

anwebb

Oct 12, 2010
    Tampa, FL
    To all on this board thanks for the advice, I've read so many great posts and learned so much in the last month. In my first post, a "cautionary tale", I explained how I had gone to a mom and pop music store here in Florida and bought my 12 year old son his first DB. Only to find out it was a used 15 year old Englehardt Maestro 1 (for which we paid $1500). Feeling like I had made a mistake that was going to be very hard to recover from, especially AFTER finding the board and reading all the newbie threads on how to choose a first DB (if only I had read them before falling for this deal). The music store owner refused to make any exchanges or offer a refund or even a partial refund, even though we contacted him the following week. In comes Englehardt-Link, I had written to them to trace the DB's serial number and that's how I found out it was actually 15 years old and not new as it had been sold. Tom Link talked to me on the phone and offered to send my son, Ian, a brand new Englehardt S-1 in exchange for the DB we had purchased. Finally today, the transaction has been completed, the brand new bass arrived and Ian got to open it this evening - he was thrilled!! This is a wonderful experience where it shows that at times supporting "Made in America" can really have a sweet ending and that there are some great people behind the companies that make instruments in our country. I am very grateful to Tom Link for sending Ian this wonderful Db and for making a kids first experience with an instrument one to always remember - a story he can tell his kids and grandkids!:hyper:

Attached Files:

2. Awesome, you should always start them young.

3. PaperbackRyder

PaperbackRyder Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2007
    Maynard, MA
    Congratulations and best of luck with the new axe!
    And good job Mr. Link!

4. Jake deVilliers

Jake deVilliers Commercial User

May 24, 2006
    Crescent Beach, BC
    Owner of The Bass Spa, String Repairman at Long & McQuade Vancouver
    Nice - way to go Tom! ;)

5. armybass

armybass Gold Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2001
    Great story and so nice to hear. I think both would have been great basses but you deserve to have what you paid for and I hope the store is never allowed to misrepresent such a fine company as Englehardt again. Ian and Englehardt are both certainly winners in this situation.

6. Good luck to Ian. I hope he progresses well.

7. M0ses

M0ses

Sep 11, 2009
    Los Angeles
    What a stand up job of customer service. I hope that store owner gets what's coming to him. I'd consider going to the police with a case of fraud.

8. hardtwarming...+++1 engleheart!

9. Rocky

Rocky Banned

Jul 21, 2000
    Los Angeles
    Its great to hear stories that involve great customer service like this. What a cool thing for Tom Link to do!

10. anwebb

anwebb

Oct 12, 2010
    Tampa, FL
    First district competition was yesterday. Ian's quintet got all "superior" scores (highest they could get) and Ian got many compliments on his technique from the judge. That combined with the new DB made him feel like he was on cloud nine. Thanks for all the good wishes!!

Attached Files:

11. Your his hero.:)

Im sure your proud of him. I bet he's proud of you too.

12. M0ses

M0ses

Sep 11, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Tell him to get his eyes off that fingerboard :D

13. anwebb

anwebb

Oct 12, 2010
    Tampa, FL
    Thanks everyone - so glad I had Talkbass for good advice!

Attached Files:

14. Greg Clinkingbeard

Greg Clinkingbeard

Apr 4, 2005
    Kansas City area
    KC Strings
    What a great story!

15. Menacewarf

Menacewarf

Mar 9, 2007
    Oregon
    His technique looks a lot better than mine :mad: