1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

A rattle problem, help?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Beatle-man16, Oct 24, 2010.

1. Beatle-man16

Beatle-man16

Jun 16, 2010
    Hello and after many issues with bass guitars I have finally settled down (I think) with a Epiphone EB3, so i played it liked it but evidently needed a set up ( some rattle on E string etc) , i remember a friend saying the Tru Bass 88? black nylon strings were good so i brought them completely ignorant of the string gauge and let the guy at the shop set them up, as i thought if it fits a Hofner it must fit an EB3, as it says "famously heard on the Abbey Road album" unless that was for the Rickenbacker.

A dilema occurred however saying the the strings were too big and needed a nut change so i allowed it anyway, came back and its quite nice to play but the first fret E string has some appalling rattling and minor rattle on second fret, so wondering as too the cause of the problem? i expected the size of the strings but some rattling was present before i sent it to the shop for a "full set up" and change of strings as im not experienced at bass guitars yet. so suggestions? i could easily change back to another nut slot if thats the cause of it right? thanks sorry for extensive writing i get carried away and want you to be informed on the issue

2. Beatle-man16

Beatle-man16

Jun 16, 2010
    Anyone? or am i bumping to early?

3. Joshua

Joshua WJWJr Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Aug 23, 2000
    Connecticut
    How is the relief? Do you know how to measure it? Relief can and will change for a whole host of reasons...

4. SnakeKappele

SnakeKappele

Sep 20, 2010
    The nut change should have been just making the slot wider.

You can try raising the action until the fret buzz goes away (raise the saddle at the bridge) or loosen the truss rod a little.

Or, take it back to the shop and get it fixed the way you want it - you paid for it.

5. lethargytartare

lethargytartare

Sep 7, 2004
    Chicago
    (1) Yes, 6 hours is too early to bump.

(2) "first fret E string has some appalling rattling" "minor rattle on second fret"
    So, so you mean, when you play the E string open you get the appalling rattling, then when you fret the first fret you get minor rattle, and then when you fret at the second fret and beyond you get no more rattling?

I wasn't sure if you had isolated the rattling to those frets, or if you were listing the symptoms when you played ON those frets...which can be traced to different issues.

In the end, the simple answer is Snakes -- you paid for a setup, you are getting bad noise -- setup isn't done and needs to be looked at again by the tech.

Good luck!
    ltt

6. JLS

JLS

Sep 12, 2008
    Emeryville, Ca
    I setup & repair guitars & basses
    You paid for a setup, it ain't right, take it back, courteously but firmly insist on it being made right for you.