Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

A stupid question, but w/e

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Gram, Aug 16, 2004.

1. Gram

Gram Guest

Jul 15, 2004
    My favorite bands of all time is system of a down and black flag, do you think I can make a song (with the bass being the main sound) as fast and yeh know rocker style' as those bands? or is bass a bad choice for me if I wanna play that kind of musik and be heard?

2. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Moved...

3. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    *pours gasoline on you*... You're about to be flamed. Brace yourself :p.

4. As long as we're warned that its a stupid question, then theres no reason to make fun of him FOR the stupid question. I'm sure we can find a better reason to make fun of him.

Gram Cracka- black flag and system of a down, favorite of ALL TIME eh? Well this is an easy question...listen to then. Do you hear a

meedaly meedaly meedaly meedaly meedaly MEEEEEEDDDDAAAALLLLLLYYYYYY

or more of a

Bum bum slightly-higer-bum- bum bum bum bum

Either way bass will get you noticed. Escpecially if you're naked while playing it. :)

5. Gram

Gram Guest

Jul 15, 2004
    I said it was a stupid question, you didnt have to open the thread. so if you're not going to even try and answer my question, you dont have to take the time out of youre day to write a lame insult.

6. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    uhhhhh ... wut?

7. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Gang of Four.

Punk music with lead bass. Horrific vocals, but otherwise pretty good.

8. Gram

Gram Guest

Jul 15, 2004
    yeh on a bass, can you like really rock out on it, like jump up and strum the bass harsh and abbrasive (sorry for my spelling)

9. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    ...well, yeah. Haven't been to many live shows, have ya? Although you don't so much as "strum" a bass as you do...well, not strum it. You can play harder. If you're gonna be doing that, I'd reccomend tight strings -- otherwise, you're gonna get ugly, ugly buzz.

10. Not a big System fan, but I used to love Black Flag. I love the early stuff and the really late stuff.

When I think of bass stuff for Black Flag I think of stuff like Six Pack or TV Party, with a real P Bassy type sound. That really fast stuff like the Dead Kennedys, Circle Jerks and Minor Threat really get their power from an aggressive bass sound.

11. +1

Also, if you like Black Flag's sound, you might want to check out the Henry Rollin's Band. It's Rollin's solo career. A lot of the earlier stuff sounds very reminiscent of Flag.