A Yamaha Magic Stomp for bass?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Badmuthaplucka, Dec 14, 2004.

1. Badmuthaplucka

Badmuthaplucka Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2004
    Tucson, Az.
    I just heard from a local music store that a Yamaha was developing magic stomp for bass! Any one ells hear about this? (Thoughts?)
  2. wyliee

Jul 6, 2003
    South Hill, WA
    I haven't seen anything. I spoke with the local Yamaha reps about a month ago and they didn't mention anything other than the Acoustic version.

Hopefully, I'm getting one for Christmas to use with my GTR rig. We'll see how well it works for bass too.

Has anyone tried the regular Magic Stomp with bass?
  3. wyliee

Jul 6, 2003
    South Hill, WA
    I can answer my own questions now as I received one over the weekend for my birthday.

It's a pretty cool little box. The biggest problem is that there are only three buttons to control all the different parameters. You have to connect it to your computer to really tweak the settings. I downloaded the Allan Holdsworth settings from their website and they're pretty good. The distortion settings cannot quite get the vintage tube sound, but otherwise they're pretty good.

I also tried it with my bass. Again, the chorus/echo effects are pretty good. Distortion is OK, but I've never really been satisfied with bass distortion pedals. A nice surprise were the acoustic guitar settings. Playing a six string bass, they did give my bass more an acoustic guitar quality in the upper register.
  4. Peik

Dec 2, 2004
    There is a magic stomp comming out for bass, but not untill after the new year.
    It will feature the amp modeling from the BBT500H, Yamahas new digital amp that sounds really good by the way, plus some of the good things from the guitar magic stomp. Again everything is edited via a computer and the sound are really good.

So try it out when it comes.
  5. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    A bump up on this little effects unit. Here is a video from NAMM about the Magicstomps. The effects for the guitar sound pretty sweet. They don't demo the bass version but they do show it. Hopefully it will be available soon.Magicstomp Video