1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

About Mic you use for bass "live" recording

Discussion in 'Ask Justin Meldal-Johnsen' started by T3llumm, Jan 2, 2012.

1. Hello back.
    I actually read a lot about NIN, make some researchs and especially from the differents NIN "Rehearsals" available.
    What kind of mic did you use in front of your Cab ?
    if you use one...
    I actually try to find a mic which can reproduce the most faithfully possible the sound of my gear (Tech 21 Landmark 600 and your excellent Ampeg 410HLF), but i find that my AKG D112 add too much "low" in all the recordings...and i don't need to have more low, i already have a lot ;)
    i think, as a world famous Bassplayer and producer, you have some "Recipe" for that...
    Best regards.

2. remigiozampa

remigiozampa

Oct 26, 2011
    Justin can answering better than me, but my two cents... I could try with some of this mics: Neumann U-47 FET, Senheiser 421, Shure SM-7, Electrovoice RE-20, SM-57 blended with another mic can give you a nice "bite"... Just try mic combinations and trust in your ears.
    If i remember well Justin don´t used any cab in the NIN rehearsals. The preamps went straight to the Palmer speaker emulator. Use the search tool. There is enough information about this.

Best Regards

3. Dan Bozek

Dan Bozek

Aug 3, 2011
    Outside Pittsburgh, PA
    Endorsing Artist, D'addario Strings
    100% agree with those mic ideas. You basically have to try a few things until you figure out which mic is going to give you the right tone for what you're working on. I know I've used different mics on the same rig with different bands even. I think there are many recipes for success, not just one.

And I think the Palmer thing is true too because I remember reading on this forum about it being used after watching those rehearsal videos and thinking "damn. I gotta buy one of those."

4. jmjbassplayer

jmjbassplayer Justin Meldal-Johnsen

Mar 25, 2005
    All correct, yes.

But later with NIN: SM-7, Sm57, Heil PR40, Fet 47, Re-20, all great.

5. Thanks !

6. analogcabin

analogcabin

Oct 18, 2011
    Afton, VA
    Another winner is the Audio Technica ATM25.

7. stranded horse

stranded horse

Dec 8, 2009
    outer space
    [ ] yes [ ] no
    I was wondering if you compared the Palmer to the Radial JDX and if yes, why you decided for the Palmer.

regards, s.h.

8. jmjbassplayer

jmjbassplayer Justin Meldal-Johnsen

Mar 25, 2005
    Totally different animals. Please do a search, and you will see associated threads.