About Warlocks

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by spellbound, Nov 4, 2003.

1. spellbound

Nov 3, 2003
    Hey guys i've been reading this forum for some time now, great community :)
    I read quite a few things about the warlock bass, that the american versions are the best ones and that changing pickups helps improve the sound.
    I'm currently thinking of ordering one from music123.com (the only site that works for me, i live in the east), and i'm not sure which version is the best....

Here's the platinum

And here's the NJ

I don't really know which is better so any help would be appreciated.
    One more thing, what is a 'neck-thru' bass?
  2. Metal Mitch

Metal Mitch

Jul 14, 2003
    Hi Spellbound, I've been looking too and it can be really difficult to find a store with any BC Rich basses in stock. But I strongly suggest you try playing one before ordering blind. Usually if you find them in a store they will be Platinum series, which is the bottom-of-the-line model, and plays like it. I wouldn't use a Platinum for anything but firewood.

I'm still looking for *any* NJ Series just to try it. The NJ neck-thru Warlock is being marketed as a better instrument, but neck-thru doesn't always make it better.

Do a search on this bass forum for info on neck-through construction vs. bolt-on, lots of threads explain the difference.

Good luck in your search!
  3. PICK

Jan 27, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    I have 2 BC Rich Warlocks. I have a Platinum one and an old Neck-Thru US one. The Platinum does not even compare to the US version. I have played a Neck Thru NJ series Mockingbird and that is a Hell of a lot better than my Platinum. If i were you i would try both but i think you might find that the NJ series will probably be the better of the 2. As with most things, you get what you pay for.
  4. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    Save up your money and get a used American made one. They are handmade, with great materials, and awesome electronics. They are heads and tails better than the NJ, which is better than the Platinum series. Don't just get the look, get the sound and playability too.
  5. Have you tried reading the reviews at Harmony Central?

BC Rich reviews

Note: ignore the ratings. They're totally useless because everyone has different standards. Read the user reviews carefully and note the pros and cons that are relevant to you.
  6. PICK

Jan 27, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    A neck thru bass is a construction method used by some bass companies which entails using one piece of wood that runs the full length of the neck and runs to the end of the body. They then glue the "Wings" or sides of the wood onto the "Neck-thru" section. Neck thru is shortened from the actual phrase Neck Thru Body. There are 2 other main construction methods which are Bolt On, where the neck is bolted onto the body and "set Neck" or Glued neck where the neck is glued onto the body.
  7. NV43345

Apr 1, 2003
    B.C.Rich also made U.S.A. Bolt on's. Here is a pic
    of my 1987 Warlock,Alder body,Flame maple neck w/
    Brazilian board,Dimarzio p/u's.
  8. Or you could avoid the quality issues of imported WarLOCKS by getting a WarWICK Rockbass Vampyre. Not to be confused with WarMOTH, another kettle of fish entirely.

Of course, if your heart is dead set on a Warlock, this suggestion won't do you any good.
  9. spellbound

Nov 3, 2003
    Right, thanks for the replies.
    I think i'll just avoid it then, since i can't get an american made version anyway.
    But it's strange how everyone in every bass forum says that Warlocks have crappy sound and look even worse, while reviews on web pages all state that they rock.
    Go figure :)