1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

ABY without volume drop

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by bigchiefbc, Jun 1, 2007.

1. OK so I searched for a while and didn't see this exact question asked. I currently am running two separate channels split by a standard passive ABY box. The A/B switch is fine, works perfectly, but when I am in Y mode, both channels experience a volume drop (which makes sense since I'm splitting the signal between two channels). This is a problem, because I use the Y mode specifically so I can occasionally add a distorted signal over the top of my clean signal, to thicken up choruses and also under my guitarist's solos. But when I kick it into Y mode, my clean signal drops in volume, and it sounds like crap.

So I guess what I really want is not a true splitter, but instead a pedal that can output my original signal at the original volume on two channels a the same time. So its more of COPYing my signal than splitting it. Anyone have any ideas?

2. lowmid

lowmid

Feb 2, 2005
    belgium
    My guess is that you have a pedal that puts you out of phase and when the two signals are blended togheter they destroy themselves because they're out of phase, Had that with my guvn'or

3. You need a buffered (active) ABY - plain and simple. I suggest a Boss LS-2.

The issue may be affected by phase, but most likely the effect you're hearing is because the input impedances of both amps are connected in parallel in Y mode. This effectively halves the impedance seen by your guitar - causing it's output to droop and the high end to roll off.

4. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Radial Switcbone would fix that right up for you. A bit pricey, but they can be found used (I sold mine after going mono again).

5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 24, 2021