1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Accoustic bass guitar questions

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassgod76, Jan 25, 2012.

1. Get the Dean EAB. It's cheaper, and if it sucks, you can always return it.

7 vote(s)
    31.8%
  2. Save yourself the hassle, and get Ibanez AEB10BBE. It's more $, but worth it.

15 vote(s)
    68.2%
  1. bassgod76

bassgod76 bass turd burglar

Mar 13, 2003
    South Florida
    My tribute band is doing a thing where we are invading our local renaissance faire coming up.
    We want to do the wandering minstrel thing, but with a twist...

Due to the movie, Role Models, we would do a KISS meets Monty Python sorta gig.

We would bring acoustic models, and our Peter would probably play some sort of bongo or whatever.

We also have plans to dress like the cover of Kiss's "Dressed to Kill" and do an acoustic show.

So here's my question.
    1. I have to get an ABG
    2. I really don't want to spend a lot of money on something I wouldn't (or care to) play alot.

3. What do you advise?

I was thinking about these two:
    Ibanez AEB5E
    Ibanezacoustic.

Dean AEB
    Dean.

One guy wants to sell me a nice used Dean, but I hear horror stories about these instruments, and no return policy scares me.

:help:

2. MD

MD

Nov 7, 2000
    Marin Co. CA.
    I can't speak to build quality, but, given the same set up, the Dean is probably louder due to its larger body. Given different set ups (low action vs. high action) the bass with higher action will more than likely be the louder. So, for your needs, probably the Dean with high action.

I read somewhere the black paint finish affects acoustic volume.

3. bassgod76

Mar 13, 2003
    South Florida
    Thanks! any and all opinions appreciated.

4. digitalmoney

digitalmoney

Nov 13, 2011
    Appleton WI
  5. woofer27

woofer27

Jan 25, 2012
    Raymond, WA
    Most AEBs are fairly low volume unamplified, it may help to use a pick whilst strolling the faire. Its always better to play the instrument you might buy rather than ordering one. Good luck.

6. If you go unplugged, I predict you will not hear yourself anywhere near where you'd like to. A BIG-box ABG, like a Tacoma, will get closer than a cheapo- perhaps a moot point.

7. bassgod76

Mar 13, 2003
    South Florida
    I'd be doing the Gene Simmons thing, so pick is mandatory.

I was thinking about ordering a new Dean from MF, but this guy selling a used one is including the HS case.

8. TheDude007

TheDude007

May 18, 2010
    Kansas City
    I'd go for the Ibanez. I haven't ever played one of those Deans that has been worth anything. Either way you go, I'd highly recommend getting it from a store where you can see and play it first. Acoustic instruments tend not to ship well and stand up to the abuse FedEx and UPS put on them.

9. bassgod76

Mar 13, 2003
    South Florida
    Isn't the Dean a "big box"?

10. Matter of opinion, I think. I'd call it *biggish* :)

Edit: I've had good experience w/Dean in general, if that helps.

11. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    How's bout one of these?

IMG_3966.

The money is right.....

12. bassgod76

Mar 13, 2003
    South Florida
    @Phalex: LOL!

13. RedsFan75

RedsFan75

Apr 26, 2007
    Cincinnati
    I can weigh in on this as I've owned both the Dean (EABFL) and the Ibanez (AEB10E)

Volume, I can actually hear the Ibanez better (slightly) than I could the Dean. I played both painted and natural, natural is louder. I played both with tape wounds (more upright vibe) and bronze. The bronze give the most volume, but also have more 'twang'.
    Scale - Dean - 34" Ibanez - 32"
    Fit and Finish are very comparable, but the Dean did seem a bit dried out if that makes any sense.

I liked both basses... the Dean played really well, but the electronics were not very good. The Ibanez electronics are very nice, and I find I like the playability of the 32 scale more. I kept the Ibanez.

I think you'll find either would do a decent job. Neither might give you the volume you'll need. For that you might need a bigger one like a Boulder Creek, etc. (I think I saw one of those in the classifieds - not sure what your budget is)

14. mikeintheboat

mikeintheboat

Jun 13, 2011
    Ill tell you what! I love having my acoustic. Its nice to have it laying around away from my electric set up. Easy to just pick it up and jam on it for a little while. Nice to have for camping or the likes. And the one i have is a J(unk) Reynolds. Cheap but sounds pretty good. I would suggest definitely playing both and see which one you like because you might be surprised how often you do play it.
    The Breedloves ive played at GC seem to have very soft rounded tone. Like an unplugged electric, kind of quiet. The Deans had a more acoustic sound to them(bighter) and louder.

15. bassgod76

Mar 13, 2003
    South Florida
    I really don't want to spend over $300.

I understand that natural is a better finish for sound. Unfortunately, our band has to have a certain look.

If I was using it a lot more, I go big dollar, but I know this is a quasi prop more than anything.

I hear a lot: The Dean's electronics suck. Can someone explain this description better?

16. MD

MD

Nov 7, 2000
    Marin Co. CA.
    From what I've read, the lower end Dean has passive electronics so the output is very weak. The more expensive Dean ABGs have active electronics.

17. Twocan

Twocan Living the Dream

Oct 5, 2009
    MA
  18. I vote for this! :)

You can always, paint it black....that reminds me of a song....

19. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

Volume-wise you'll do best with an Ovation or an Applause (same as Ovation) deep bowl bass, a Guild (lotsa $$) or, by reputation, a Tacoma.

I have an Applause and it has more volume than any other ABG I've heard.

Some people like the rounded back, others don't. It works for me.

Buy used and you can easily get under $300, possibly under $200.

Applause.