Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ace Kefford

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Steve Holroyd, Mar 1, 2004.

1. I've long been a fan of The Move, a mid-60s to early 70s power pop band that is best known today in the U.S. (if at all) as having kind of devolved into Electric Light Orchestra.

I've been playing a lot of Move stuff lately, and find myself impressed by the bass playing of Chris "Ace" Kefford.

If you get to chance to hear singles like "Night Of Fear," "I Can Hear The Grass Grow," "Flowers In The Rain," "Fire Brigade," as well as album tracks like "The Lemon Tree" and "Yellow Rainbow," you hear an aggressive, note-filled style. Melodic at times, but always holding down the bottom.

Nice work, and a much larger component of the Move sound than I remembered.

If memory serves, Kefford left the band after having nerve problems. He didn't do much afterwards...an aborted solo album, some production, but not much else.

I would recommend people (stated more accurately, Americans) acquaint themselves with the Move as it is probably THE great lost band of the 1960s (at least in the U.S.). Regardless, check out Kefford's work with them. Tasty stuff.