Ace|Skunk Anansie

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Vorago, Nov 13, 2004.

1. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    I already knew this guy from Post Orgasmic Chill, and I though he was a very tastefull bassist, but not That special you know. Recently I picked up Paranoid and Sunburnt (first SA album, lot more funk and heavy guitars) and wow, this guy rocks. Great sound, tastefull lines, nice slapping...anyone who shares this opinion?
  2. wingnutkj

Mar 27, 2003
    Pssstt - his name is Cass Lewis! Ace was the guitarist.
  3. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Last time I heard him I thought he kicked ass. Of course, when I last heard him I was 15 and sucked. I wonder what I'd think today?
  4. Niels Keijzer

Niels Keijzer Guest

Nov 27, 2000
    He also played on two of Terence Trent d'Arby's albums. As for Skunk Anansie, I liked the singer and the image of the band, but I was never thrilled by the bass playing (esp. the slapping was very unimaginative). I liked the bass on a few songs like Selling Jesus though.
    On the last album he did use bass-effects in a very creative and effective way, I must say.
  5. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    I always liked Cass's playing........he's also on the last Gary Moore album & DVD.
  6. Eric Grossman

Eric Grossman

Nov 3, 2004
    St. Louis
    Endorsing Artist: Hipshot Products and SIT Strings
    I had a chance to do a bit of touring with Skunk Anansie. Cass is a great player. He's very aggressive, which I like. Keep in mind, that they did the entire POC record in 2 weeks. You have to be impressed with the work. Anyway, cheers to Cass. BTW Ace is a great guy as well.
  7. I was in a band with Ace when I was 18! It was a classic early 90s thing with a black singer and we were heavily influenced by Living Colour and other similar cross-over rock and funk bands - Ace was then known as plain old Martin Kent and he was and still is a lovely guy - it's a shame Skunk split up and even more of a shame that the singer Skin, who has one of the most incredible voices in rock today (I think she's a female version of Corey Glover) has really had a hard time getting her solo career going - the record label (EMI) did a poor job of supporting the album - so I just hope she gets something else together - maybe Living Colour need a backup singer... ;)
  8. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Owkey, fixed the mistake, my bad :) Indeed too bad SA split up, I'm really love Skin's voice, man, what an amazing singer she is. Every time I hear Charity the hair in my neck goes straight up. :eek:
  9. Cass Lewis is amazing... the first Skunk Anansie cd has some of the best rock bass playing I have ever heard...