Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Acme Low B1 or Acoustic Image Contra EX ?

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by ninnlangel, Jan 11, 2006.

1. Hi,

I'm wondering what are your perspectives, using an acoustic image head, of the pros and cons of using these speakers. I understand the acme is a little more accurate and hi-fi, how about the contra ? any advantages there ? Does the ground projection feel more natural ?

I will own both soon, but I am in the process of changing my Clarus 2R for a Focus 2R, and I'm wondering if I should keep the contra EX, switch it for a series 3 contra EX, or get rid of it completely and only use the acme for both upright and electric (I originally ordered the acmes for electric).

thanks,

Ninn

2. LowNote

LowNote Supporting Member

Jan 31, 2002
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    After years of happily using a B-1 as my main upright cabinet, driving it with a WW Ultra, Clarus or Focus 1R, I recently switched to one or two Contra EX speakers and sold my A-1 to a jazz guitarist friend who drives it with my old Clarus. Both cabinets sound wonderful but I found the EX to be slightly more efficient and much tighter sounding for upright. My principal rig is now the Focus 1R driving one or two of the EX cab's. I popped the plate off the top of one of the EX cab's and using some clips that I bought from Parts Express have "affixed" the Focus to one of them. Because my bass with Fishman Full Circle tends to be a bit boomy, I make liberal use of the Hi Pass filter to dial out the very low end. Once I've done this, and turned the bass control way down if not off, I get a wonderful amplified sound that is full yet very punchy and it cuts through loud big bands very well. I also like the sound of this setup with bass guitar, and it can get very loud if you need it to. Since the new combo amps and EX cabinets are not yet available, I can't comment on whether you should wait for one of them. However, at the close-out price of $300, the EX is an incredible bargain and is light enough for me at the moment.

Erik Hansen
    Los Angeles

3. spiritbass

spiritbass Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2004
    Ashland, MO
    +1 on the Contra EX value. I've been driving mine with a TFB 420 and am really enjoying what I hear. I am a five string slab player with ears accustomed to my Accugroove Tri-112 (also good for DB). I like nice woody tones and this little speaker delivers for me.

Ken

4. PB+J

PB+J

Mar 9, 2000
    arlington va
    just to complicate things I recently got an epifani ul110--a pretty remarkable cab. extremely light and very flat, very high fi

5. Well thanks to all of you for the input.

I already own a Contra EX and the B1's will be there anyday now. I'll give them a week or two, and return them if I'm not happy. The Contra EX seems to have a hard time dealing with my low B when it gets a little loud with the electric bass, so I ordered the pair of B1s. When everything is in, I'll try all the combinations and sell whatever is not necessary...

6. brandonwong

brandonwong

Dec 16, 2003
    The B-1s gives a much warmer low end than the EX and IMHO, is easier to get a nice sounding double bass sound. Just a little cut on the lows and more highs, it gets the job done very nicely. It blends in very well with say a string ensemble and it doesnt sound as if the bass is being amplified. I wouldn't say so for the EX or any other cabs.

A pair of B-2s is coming in soon and i'll probably be able to say which is "better" with the AIs.