1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Acoustic 320/408

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by 4stringPhlegm, May 11, 2010.

1. 4stringPhlegm

4stringPhlegm

May 17, 2009
    I have gotten the opportunity to purchase a 1972 Acoustic 320/408 stack locally for $600. The reviews are stellar, I have some concerns though. It is only 300 watts, I know that watts don't always mean loud but usually they're a pretty good way to estimate. Also I worry how long it will hold up, It already has nearly 40 years, how much longer could it last? Lastly, I wonder if the price is fair. So could anyone give me some information to help me in my decision? Thanks in advance. :smug:

2. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    Look on Wikipedia for Acoustic Control Corporation

The "Lifetime Warranty" period is over.

If you go and try it, try it at a gig or two, and are really blown away by what you hear, and can't find anything newer that suits your hearing - then buy it.
    Or if you want to gamble and buy it as an investment - but I wouldn't bet it's a good investment.

It should last a long time. It's not high voltage, but you may have to change the caps as some older ones do age. If a transistor does blow, they may be hard to find, as newer transistors obsolete ones used decades ago. You could change out the whole power amp for a lightweight class-d module probably cheaper than having a tech work on it.

3. Gaolee

Gaolee Official leathers tester and crash dummy

It is 40 years old and will still blow down a wall, if it is like most of 'em. Those cabinets were designed to project so it's not just loud next to it, it's loud about a block away. They used to use them to fill arenas, so 300 watts is apparently plenty.

It's a pretty good price if it is in good condition. They are solidly built, as you will discover if you ever try to move it without four strong men and a boy. Given the chance to pick one up locally, I probably would if I had the money at the time.

4. KramerBassFan

KramerBassFan

Jan 3, 2009
    Is this amp stack in Dekalb, Illinois, by any chance?

5. 4stringPhlegm

4stringPhlegm

May 17, 2009
    @kramerbassfan
    I'm afraid not

6. KramerBassFan

KramerBassFan

Jan 3, 2009
    Ahh, nevermind then.

I saw the exact same set up, in a store there. Odd.

7. 4stringPhlegm

4stringPhlegm

May 17, 2009
    So is there any specific area i should check where there may be a major flaw that would effect its functioning?

8. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    You should take it to a Tech who can measure power supply, ripple, look for bloated caps, see if anything is burnt on the pc boards, check the output devices, ...

For the cabinet, take a look inside and see if the drivers are original. Expect that you might need to re-cone depending on the condition and where it was stored. Look for insect and rodent damage.

9. Cat pee. Always look and sniff for cat pee.

There isn't much worse --- unless it's electronics smoking.