1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

acoustic bass mic

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by swankfrank6, Apr 27, 2009.

1. swankfrank6

swankfrank6

Feb 5, 2008
    im looking for a relatively cheap mic to plug up to my boss loop pedal. (it has a mic input) i want a way to be able to use my amp to mic my acoustic bass instead of a pa.
    i found out that the frequency range on a 6 string is 30hz to 130hz
    ( i also own a 6 string)
    so i'd want something that can handle that.

is this brand any good?

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.co...ic-Microphone-for-Bass-Instruments?sku=275669

2. Your FUNDAMENTAL frequencies for OPEN strings on a BEADGC are from 31 to 131 Hertz. On a 24 fret you can get up to 523 Hertz. Also keep in mind there is LOTS of information above the fundamental.

I'm not sure what you are trying to mic; is it a 6 string acoustic without a pickup?

AKG is a very good brand, but that's their 'diet' line. Likely still pretty good though.

3. a 57 would do it just fine, im sure.

if you want a mic with great bass response, you're going to pay a bit for it. for cheap and a "good enough" sound, a 57/58 will do

4. TimmyP

TimmyP

Nov 4, 2003
    Indianapolis, IN
    I'd get a K & K Bassmax or David Gage Realist. More money, but a much better result.

5. swankfrank6

swankfrank6

Feb 5, 2008
    good point i forgot about that..
    but yeah i just have a 4 string acoustic bass i'd like to mic. but also i play a six string electric, and if i need to i'd like a mic that can pick up sound from a bass amp.

6. TimmyP

TimmyP

Nov 4, 2003
    Indianapolis, IN
    I must have been up too late - I was thinking dog house bass. I don't know much about pickups for other type acoustic basses, but that would be the way to go.

7. I've not been able to get good sound like this.. piezos only are the way I've found successful (with a hole plug)

Otherwise.. a 57/58 should do it.. there are some other competitors to this setup.. easy to buy easy to sell... other uses when you ditch the concept.

8. I didn't realize there were acoustic basses (guitar style, not Uprights) that DIDN'T have a pickup.

A 57 ought to do fine, unless you are going for uber-deep with Tapewounds. I think you'll NEED low stage volume. Watch for monitor feedback, perhaps even kill a lot of the low end on the monitor's EQ.

Best bet for your electric is a DI.

9. swankfrank6

swankfrank6

Feb 5, 2008
    best part is i have a GK 700rb-II so it was a really really nice DI.
    a bass mic would just be nice to have all around i think.