Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Acoustic Image Equipment

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ConeyIslandJoe, May 25, 2004.

1. Hello All;
    I had the pleasure of attending the Guitar Show this weekend and was checking out the Acoustic Image equipment. Seems they have a new amp . It's called the Focus. It has 300 watts @ 8 ohms and 600 @ 4 ohms and weights 6 lbs. Their technology appears to be be very similar to the Walter Woods equipment. I guess you could call them the "POOR MAN's Walter Woods". LIST PRICE on their site is $1299 and the sales rep @ the show said their not in production yet. Has anyone had any experience with the other models they make. The power @ 4 ohms and the weight are very impressive. Also it seems that they do not discount the units very much if at all. Any feed back and or personal experience on this equipment would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks
    Coney Island Joe

2. Sounds cool. I am not sure if $1299 is in a poor man's price range, but who knows! :meh:
    I hope they do not have reliability issues, I have seen a couple of those thinks smoke, (literaly)!

3. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
  4. tim99

tim99 Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2003
    I have the Clarus 2R amp. It is warm, clean, and lightweight. Does not get hot. Does not pickup the nearby radio station that my Polytone mini brute IV does. I used to use it for Jazz Guitar, and plan to use it for acoustic bass or a Godin in my future.

I bought it from j hale music supply. It was a very good purchase experience. AI was out of a part, so my order took longer than expected, and J Hale kept me up to date with regular emails.

http://www.jhalemusic.com

Mine is both cheaper than Walter Woods and not as powerful. People have had to go to the Walter Woods for the power, or been willing to pay more for the Walter Woods for the sound. But, now with the new AI amp, they will find an amp that is "better than good enough" in the power and sound department. Could be very interesting.

Tim99.

5. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    The Clarus is a top amp.
    Truly hi-fi (meaning: the instrument and the palyer defines what comes out to the speaker), truly portable.
    Some say that the EQ is not enough, btu it can handle any room, and also help with some tweaking. But what of it, it's the player that really depicts the sound, right?
    For some situations, the Clarus is too weak. The Focus should not be... :cool:

6. I own a Clarus and love it. It covers most of my situations as I use my rig as a stage monitor and usually go through a PA. It is very neutral in sound so my bass Sei fretless sings through it. Also with a Sans amp stomp box in the setup, my Ken Snith fretted 4 growls like a lion on heat!

For a portable amp it can't be beat [imo].

I am looking for a lightweight poweramp to put in my rig to cover the very odd occassion when I need more power if there is no PA to go through.

I would give it 10/10 but is does expose any deficiencies in either your bass or your technique!

The new focus should be great but is too much money for me at the moment.

Regards

Matthew

7. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Where do you buy this stuff in Europe? Sweden?
    How are the prices over here?

8. Jock

I got mine second hand from Overwater Bass Emporium in Calisle, England. Very helpful and they posted it to me at once very well wrapped. I think they are the importers of AI gear in the UK.

Hope this helps

Regards

Matthew

9. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    Matthew,

What are the cabs you're using with your set up again? I love my Ashdown mini 1x15 but it mainly sits at home because it's too heavy to easily carry to places I can't go with my car (not to mention that my car is out of action at the moment anyway). Would it be a feasible 'carry around by hand' solution and what is the Ohm rating (to keep it vaguely related to the topic of this thread :D ).

Wulf

Wulf

10. Hi Wulf

I am currently using a single Epifani 1 x 10 Ultralight [8 Ohms] which only weighs 25 lbs. This gives me 120 watts from the Clarus, which is OK for a monitor or acoustic gigs.

I will be getting either a Epifani 1 x 12 UL [8 Ohms] not sure of weight, but light, or a Accugroove Tri 112 [8 Ohms] weighing 44 lbs to go with the 1 x 10 very shortly. The Accugroove on paper is the favorite but a test at the Gallery will decide the winner.

When using both cabs with the clarus it will give me 200 watts into 4 Ohms. This will be both more watts and more movement of air from a doubling of the cabs so it should be noticably louder. Well thats the theory anyway.

I have gone for a totally modular system so that I can match the rig to the gig and save my back into the bargin. Eventually I hope to run a maximum of 4 x 8 ohm cabs [2 x 10 and 2 x 12] to give me 300 watts at 2 ohms. I may also look to buy a lightweight power amp and use the Clarus as a pre only.

See you on the 12th June at Stoneleigh?

Regards

Matthew

11. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    Oh yes - I'll be there (the WorshipReleased event at Stoneleigh in England on 12 June).

Back to the cabs, I think I've tried a Tri 112, if that's what Steve Lawson has got. His Accugroove was certainly a mighty fine cabinet. Mind you, the weight takes it into 'pretty hefty' territory.

I'll have to take a trip the Gallery myself to play around with a few options.

Wulf

12. Steve Lawson

Steve Lawson Solo Bass Exploration! Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    hi guys,

I'm using the AccuGroove Tri110s, not the 112s. Weight-wise, this is the lightest 1x10 I've ever used... Light and very loud. The Gallery should have theirs in pretty soon...

Steve
    www.stevelawson.net

13. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    Get your scales out Steve... what does the Tri10 weigh (36lbs on the website... is that in the right ballpark). It's definitely sweet sounding though!

Wulf

14. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Have a look at www.acousticimg.com.

They claim that Uppsala Musikverkstad sell them.

15. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    Hey Matthew

That's one of the rigs I use quite often, the Clarus into a T110 and T112. Love it for the smaller gigs, and if i need to go smaller still I just use the T112. Of course, IMHO the clarus can't hold a candle to the tone of my iAMP 800 - but that's a whole 'nuther ballgame.

AND - you're right, the sum of the parts is MUCH greater than either single. Plus the 10 compliments the 12 OH so well.

16. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com
    Has anyone tried the New Yorker? I got one in the shop a very cool little unit I have to say. I was wondering if anyone had gigged with them live and how they seem to perform? They seem to work well as a crossover cab between electric and upright bass, but wasn’t sure if anyone had experience with them live. I know they are a pretty new amp combo by AI.

I look forward to the more powerfull Heads. AI does a wonderful job of keeping the clarity of the instruments.

17. vanselus

It was your excellent basstasters site that helped me hear the clarus before trying it out in a shop and then getting one for myself. So thanks.

Regards

Matthew

18. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    Hey man, thanks! Glad it was of use to you!

19. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    thought i'd join the fray,

love my Clarus with one of my Acme 1x10. HUGE bottom end and Low B action from such a small setup.

when i use the Acme 1x10 pair, the Clarus does an admirable job. but, i've since been using an iAMP800 with it, and the Acmes sound even BIGGER! thusly, am getting a Focus to use with the 1x10's as the "on-the-go" rig, and relegating the iAMP to my larger Acme 4x10.

all in all, the lil acmes are great for the cafe's, coffeehouses, worship gigs, and even does a great job with my triphop group. highly recommended...

been interested in an Accugroove 1x12 w/ the new neo-speakers, and heard from Mark here on TB that it weighs only 39 lbs.

and wassup, Mr. Lawson!!! :bassist:

20. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    Isn't it amazing how that deep switch works? They should have marked it "the button that makes your 1x10 sound like a 2x10" - but I bet that wouldn't fit on the faceplate.