1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

active and passive basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bachh, Jul 14, 2014.

1. Bachh

Bachh

Apr 8, 2014
    I've laid eyes of some G&L basses which can alternate between active and passive at the flick of a switch.
    Not only does this come in handy for numerous occasions but incorporates a whole new dimension of versatility in sound.

which other basses around 1000-1500$ have this capability?

ggvicviper likes this.
  2. anavar

anavar

Oct 10, 2013
    Australia
    my bass tone can beat up your dad's bass tone.
    Warwick pro series bass/Rockbass line

awesome little function. every active bass should have a passive/active bypass.

Sartori likes this.
  3. Carvin is one. There are many other brands that offer this option also. Any bass with passive pickups and an active preamp can be modified to switch between modes.

Rick B.

Sartori likes this.
  4. ella basses

ella basses www.ellabasses.com Commercial User

May 9, 2008
    owner/luthier of Ella Bass Guitars
    I agree with anavar, I make a standard bass, no options bass, that has active/passive. But the 4 strings are just slightly outside your listed price range.

5. Bachh

Bachh

Apr 8, 2014
    could you please elaborate further?

6. ella basses

ella basses www.ellabasses.com Commercial User

May 9, 2008
    owner/luthier of Ella Bass Guitars
    Yeah sure, bartolini makes a 2 band preamp that has a push pull active/passive switch. Im putting them in my standard basses. Ill pm price so as not to hijack your thread.

7. christle

christle

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    Ibanez Premium series have active/passive switches.

8. OldDirtyBassist

OldDirtyBassist

Mar 13, 2014
    Does it have to be new? The Fender Jazz Plus Deluxe with the Kubicki preamp and Lace Sensors is the best active/passive bass I know of. They always sell for under a thousand, or sometimes much less.

9. khutch

khutch Praise Harp

Aug 20, 2011
    suburban Chicago
    The Fender American Deluxe basses do this although they are $300 north of your budget limit. The Reggie Hamilton Standard Jazz has an active/passive switch but no passive tone control for $100 below your budget. There may be other current Fenders that do this.

10. ggvicviper

ggvicviper Yamaha & Grosbeak. I’m Marc!

Jul 16, 2011
    East Meadow, NY, USA
    G&L is a really cool choice in that realm. It should be noted that their active/passive hybrids (L-series and ASAT) only feature passive bass and treble tone rolloffs. Their EQ is not active, but that is also what makes their tone shaping unique. The M-series has active EQ, but has no passive mode.

Carvin is a brand I have heard pretty much universally good things about, and you can get a combo of passive tone control with active EQ on their passive/active basses, which can both be blended in active mode (but of course only passive tone is available in passive mode)

Some of the old USA Peavey basses do the hybrid thing too, like the Dyna Bass and I believe certain models of the TL-5.

11. SheaNC

SheaNC

Jun 15, 2006
    Marysville CA
    My bass has a 3-band active eq with a push-pull cutoff via the volume knob. Unfortunately, the tone controls don't work in passive mode, so it's volume-only.