1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Active and passive.

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by pumpkinking39, Mar 23, 2013.

1. pumpkinking39

pumpkinking39

Sep 14, 2011
    Now i know this has been thrown out there a million times but i need to hear peoples opinions, I'm thinking about switching out my Stiletto Customs stock EMGHZ pickups for some active EMGs.

What id like to know is what you fellow bassists think of this, what made you switch from passive to active or vice versa, and is the passive to active switch really worth it?

2. Prepare Thy Self.

3. CheshireCatFun

CheshireCatFun

Mar 9, 2013
    Indeed.

C.

4. pumpkinking39

pumpkinking39

Sep 14, 2011
    Im guessing that means i just posted a question thats been beat the hell out of. And now I'm a noob. Hm. Sorry i asked. Apps search function doesn't help much.

5. pumpkinking39

pumpkinking39

Sep 14, 2011
    But my knowledge on active pickups is limited but i know the basics, what makes passive sound different from active soun as far as recording and listening to it with the ear goes?

6. CheshireCatFun

CheshireCatFun

Mar 9, 2013
    Eh, huh? What's all this sorry I asked crap? It's a legit question, and there's lots of misinformation out there, so it always helps to get clarification.

And, yes, you will be blown away. It's like going from regular DVD to Blu-Ray or HD. And a lot of it also comes down to performance as well.

C.

7. pumpkinking39

pumpkinking39

Sep 14, 2011
    I read somewhere that the with active, the wood of the bass doesnt matter so much, is this true?

8. pumpkinking39

pumpkinking39

Sep 14, 2011
    And thanks for understanding my legitimate question. Im reading different stuff everywhere

9. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    No, not necessarily true at all - though passive purists frequently will claim as much. :meh:

The active/passive debate tends to be a divisive one, since various players are coming from very different frames of reference, personal expectations, and so on. Many who began playing at a time when there was no such thing as an active bass - or one's choices were pretty much restricted to Alembic only - have a rather negative opinion of active electronics, simply because the first generation of active electronics did produce some pretty hideous results.

But times have changed - and not everybody keeps up. :meh:

The high-quality active components being developed & produced right now are more & more indistinguishable from conventional passive electronics - in the best sense. That means that they don't so much contribute their own voice so much as they used to do, but instead simply help you to obtain the best possible tone & frequency response from your instrument - whatever that intrinsic voice might be. :meh:

There are other significant advantages: Active electronics allow you to keep the natural upper midrange & treble frequencies that passive electronics frequently don't fully convey. And since active electronics typically are low-impedance, they allow you to use long cables to a rig or mixing board - again, without the loss of signal that is inherent in passive electronics.

That said, active electronics aren't right for every situation. For any kind of traditional and/or roots-oriented music, good ol' passives are usually the way to go. I would never, for example, show up with a Modulus Quantum w/EMGs to play a classic Motown revival gig, reggae/dub gig, or country gig.

Then again, I probably wouldn't show up to a high-tech progressive rock or fusion gig with a vintage sunburst Precision Bass w/flats either... :meh:

MM

10. InternetAlias

InternetAlias

Dec 16, 2010
    Serbia
    If you want the best of both worlds, simply get a booster preamp. It will buffer pickups (fix the impedance) and won't do a whole lot much aside from reducing noise and improving treble and upper midrange. But hey, I think it's worthwhile, which is why I am getting a PA2 installed in my bass.

11. pumpkinking39

pumpkinking39

Sep 14, 2011
    My stiletto custom 5er has the active electronics with the passive EMGHZ, an ive noticed that volume is not even across the board either, would actives fix this?