Active to Passive

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lookjojoisplaid, Jan 29, 2006.

1. lookjojoisplaid

Oct 17, 2005
    San Diego
    I have an Active Fender Jazz Deluxe and as we all know the stock preamps pretty much suck. How easy and and what do i need to do to make the thing passive? I just wanna go for the standard volume volume tone and maybe use the 4 knob as master volume. And does anyone know how those vintage noiseless Jazz pickups will sound through a Passive preamp?
  2. BassManPatsFan

BassManPatsFan Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2004
    San Francisco
    You just need some potentiometers.

The ones you have with your preamp are probably 25k or so which is too low of a resistance for passive controls.

500k or 250k would be ideal.

I would suggest getting a kit like that, although if you want a master volume, you need to buy another pot.

As for the pickups, I've never played them passive, so I can't comment on that.

good luck
  3. puff father

puff father

Jan 20, 2006
    Endicott, NY
    "Passive preamp" is a contradiction in terms if I'm not mistaken.

A regular Jazz bass has passive pickups. You can turn them up and down and you have a basic tone control. No pre-amps or batteries to deal with at all. They can sound great!
  4. Lex P.

Lex P. You've got it awful loud -Kathy P. Gold Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2003
    I converted my Am. Dlx. J-Bass to passive, it had the noiseless pickups in it. Just get three 250k pots, a capacitor (22 to 50 uf) and a switchcraft 1/4" input jack. It is very easy to convert. Any decent music store should have this stuff available. I have since sold the bass and it is one of the few that I regret getting rid of. The tone was very close to a classic J-Bass and no batteries to bother with.
  5. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Why not trade it in on a passive USA Jazz?
  6. Eilif

Eilif Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    I put fender vintage noiseless pu's into my jazz in a passive arrangement. They sound great, though more vintage than modern sounding. No preamp needed!

To use all 4 holes I would recoment 3 standard 250k pots a capacitor (can't remember what I used), and a switch wired for series/paralell. I have this arrangement (push/pull instead of switch on mine) and found this to be a great sounding and versatile arrangement and quite inexpensive also.

A master volume would be pretty much useless, but another option to consider (if you don't want the series paralell switch) would be to get four 250k pots and wire it up vol, vol, tone, tone.
  7. I agree with the vol vol tone tone suggestion. I wired my Modulus this way and the individual tone controls are much more versatile than a single master tone knob.

Rick B.
  8. 7thbass

Nov 21, 2003
    Houston, Tx
    I have noiseless pickups in an Am Std Jazz, which has passive preamp. Sound really good. I went from an active Toby pro (Korean) and had expected lower volume, but I was wrong.
  9. lookjojoisplaid

Oct 17, 2005
    San Diego
    Okay how about this insted does anyone know how to of how to go about having both an active pre-amp and a passive preamp on my bass?

For example just have a switch to go from
    the active EQ vol-pan-bass&treb-mid

I know im weird
    What can i say im an audiophile