Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

ADAT syncing with computer

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by mnadelin, Mar 27, 2005.

1. mnadelin

mnadelin

Apr 6, 2003
    Kalamazoo, MI
    What I'd like to do is find a way to sync my ADAT recorder with my computer so that when I hit record in a program it will immediately cause my ADAT to start playing so I can basically transfer track by track from the ADAT to the computer and then mix down from there. Does anybody have any experience with this at all? I'm wondering if there's a way to send information to it on the sync ports. I'd really like to avoid spending tons of money on an interface card, if at all possible.

2. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    jl cooper used to make a box called the adat datasync. this is what i used to run recording when i was recording on my adats.

i would run cakewalk pro or sonor and have that send the location data and then it would sync to the timecode from the adats. it was pretty cool, i wuold have midi sysex events in the sequence for punch in and punch out and track arming and all that, and then just play through the sequence. i coudl just mute the events when i did not wish to use them.

if you just want to get the stuff into the computer, than i would suggest one of the new protools digi002 units. they have optical inputs (which also carries synch already anyway) so it will have better sound quality than using the analog outs.

3. mnadelin

mnadelin

Apr 6, 2003
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Cool, thanks for the prompt reply. The Datasync sounds like what I'm looking for. Do you happen to know where I could pick one up? I didn't see one on Musician's friend or Sweetwater. Also, do you know how much it is? I have a very limited budget.

4. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    they aren't very common anymore, unfortunately, and they aren't very reliable either, although they were cheap. in a 10 year span i went through 4 that failed due to whatever - very delicate seeming.

they cost $250 last i remember, and there were some for sale at www.zzounds.com. but that was a while ago.

edit : actually, get it from jlcooper themselves -

http://www.jlcooper.com/pages/synchronizers.html

they have an online store, and it's cheaper direct than it ever was from any stores.

5. rubo

rubo

Aug 25, 2003
    If you're competer soundcard has Adat I/O you can clock them together and your software should allow you do a sync mode for playback / record

Cheers