Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Add String Tension

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lookjojoisplaid, Dec 13, 2005.

1. lookjojoisplaid

lookjojoisplaid

Oct 17, 2005
    San Diego
    I have a Fender Jazz bass and the only complaint i have about it now is that the E string feels so loose i really wish it were allot tighter. I already have a badass bridge on there. Is there anything i can do or add on to my bass?

2. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Get higher gague strings.

3. brothernewt

brothernewt Some people call me the stormtrooper of love...

Apr 13, 2004
    Happyrock, OR
    I don't know about higher "gague", but larger guage would help... ;) (couldn't help myself)

4. lookjojoisplaid

lookjojoisplaid

Oct 17, 2005
    San Diego
    Survey says wow

5. brothernewt

Apr 13, 2004
    Happyrock, OR
    no sense of irony... oh well.

6. lookjojoisplaid

lookjojoisplaid

Oct 17, 2005
    San Diego
    That was not irony that was purely stupid

7. brothernewt

Apr 13, 2004
    Happyrock, OR
  8. lookjojoisplaid

lookjojoisplaid

Oct 17, 2005
    San Diego
    I really dont think that getting higher gague string would help in fact i think they would have the opposite effect. I was thinking more allong the lines of lighter strings.

9. sethlow3

sethlow3 Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Nashville, Tennessee
    higher action on that string...

10. lookjojoisplaid

lookjojoisplaid

Oct 17, 2005
    San Diego
    i dont wanna raise the action any

11. Lighter strings will make the strings floppier.

Heavier gauge strings will increase the tension.

;)

Try tuning your 0.045 G string down to a low E, and see how floppy it is! LOL

:bassist:

12. sethlow3

sethlow3 Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Nashville, Tennessee
    Raising the action slightly, on that string only will make a world of difference in flopiness and buzzing. I promise. Try it yourself. You only need couple of mm. it sounds like.

13. Groover

Groover

Jun 28, 2005
    Ohio, USA
    Use Flatwounds or Halfrounds.

14. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Not nearly as much as higher *gauge*. (Sorry, I couldn't help myself either.;) )

15. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    You would be wrong about that.

16. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    Wrong. Completely. Sorry.

Heavier strings require higher tension to achieve the same pitch with the same vibrating length; lighter weight strings require lower tension to achieve the same pitch with the same vibrating length.

Physics. Theory. Reality. Tested. Proven. Cannot be denied either by rational argument or emipical data. Is supported by both rational argument and emipical data.

As someone suggested, try tuning even your A string (somewhat lighter than your E) down to E. Flop city. You had to loosen it to get it down to E.

17. Fretless5verfan

Fretless5verfan Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2002
    Philadelphia
    Buy some high gauge lo-riders.

18. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    While this will reduce fret buzz simply due to the higher action, flopiness (i.e. lack of tension) will not be affected enough to make any noticeable difference. I made a diagram of this in AutoCAD about a year ago showing the increase in scale length as action was increased. The increase in action required to increase the scale length enough to make a noteable difference was pretty massive.

19. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    Definitely agree on the fact that raising the action does not increase the scale length, and therefore tension, to any significant degree. ( sec(small angle) ~= 1 ). However, "floppy" has to do with a person's perceptions, and these are likely IMO to be more affected by hearing buzz, or by scraping the pup cover on the fingerstroke, than by the actual tension. So, I think raising the action can possibly make it "feel less floppy," at least to some degree. Too bad it make intonation worse.

20. Just attach some lead sinkers that you would use for fishing to the string.