1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Adding a spring loaded mute button to bass

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by OrangeSun, May 7, 2010.

1. OrangeSun

OrangeSun

Jun 26, 2005
    Boston, MA
    How hard is this? I'm sure theres other names for it, but I'm thinking just a spring loaded little round button, when you push it in the signal is cut off, when you release it the signal returns.

I think tom morello of rage has something like this(granted on guitar)?

Anyway, I've never done any modding so I'd have to get this done at a shop....how much should it run me?

I'd attempt it myself but I dont have any soldering skills/tools.

2. Dehn

Dehn

Nov 8, 2008
    Killswitch?

3. check out the bucket head signature gibson guitar
    it has arcade style kill switches. I think its a cool feature
    but id prefer a simple push post.

4. OrangeSun

OrangeSun

Jun 26, 2005
    Boston, MA
    ah yes, ive heard it called a killswitch....gotta be an easy mod right?

5. somegeezer

somegeezer

Oct 1, 2009
    England
    OR! You could learn how to use that magic volume knob. =D

6. OrangeSun

OrangeSun

Jun 26, 2005
    Boston, MA
    except that I wont be using this as a mute in the usual way...I have a tuner pedal for that. I need to be able to make quick choppy chords..I also cut off the beginning of harmonics and bring in the volume for the ringing part. theres a lot of application.

7. A killswitch is one of the easiest mods you can do.

All you need to do is place a NO momentary pushbutton switch between the tip terminal of the output jack and ground.

8. That switch is ridiculously overcomplicated, and I never could figure out why they did it that way.

Why run through two switch poles that take you to the same place?
    That could increase the likelihood of the switch failing, increase the resistance in the switch and increase the chance of switch pop when un-muting.

This accomplishes the same thing:
    4202980293_b56fb75135_o.

9. Didn't EVH use one too . . .

I think line6man is right - seems like it should be a quick easy mod . . .

10. Rick Auricchio

Rick Auricchio Registered Bass Offender

As long as you don't get a loud click/thump when you use the switch...

Why not just stomp the tuner when you need to, rather than hacking up the instrument? Eventually you won't be playing those songs any more...but the bass will never be the same.

11. I get the feeling that the OP is looking for a momentary mute switch for sound effects, not just for quickly silencing the bass when he needs to be quiet or such.

If you mute rapidly, you can get stuttering tremolo effects.

12. OrangeSun

OrangeSun

Jun 26, 2005
    Boston, MA
    yes indeed I was looking to do it for effect not for muting per se, but It seems I have found the answer in a 30 dollar pedal on loop master . com. As someone said above, hacking up the bass is probably not a good move, seeing as I haven't modded before and its an old warwick that has seen better days anyway.