1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Additional P p/up Placement

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Ezbass, Apr 10, 2009.

1. 1 p/ups close together

3 vote(s)
    11.5%
  2. 2 p/ups further apart like an elite

17 vote(s)
    65.4%
  3. 3 reversed bridge p/up a la Warwick Buzzard

6 vote(s)
    23.1%
  1. Ezbass

Ezbass

Apr 3, 2008
    U.K.
    OK TBers a litle help please. I'm going to be adding another p/up to my '50s roadworn. I love the sound of a P bass but sometimes want a little more "bridgeness" in the tone. I've tried P/Js and P/MMs but definitely want a P/P config. The question is about placement and orientation of the new p/up (a Seymour Duncan SPB1). The options are, and I apologise for the poor photoshopping,

1 PV1-1. 2 PV2-1. 3 PV3-1.

2. bh2

bh2

Jun 16, 2008
    Oxford, UK
    I've voted number two... just looks neater, doubt if any of the variations will make a significant different. Nice bass, although I question the mod. I would leave it alone.

Just add a tort guard, covers and thumbrest!

3. JKambing

JKambing

Aug 5, 2008
    Singapore
    I really don't have much comments on the sound or pickup placement of a dual-P setup (due to my lack of inexperience), but I'd like to comment on the fact that you're going to have to cut into the pickguard for configurations 1 and 3. It does involve either work and experience (if you do it on your own), or costs (if you get a tech to do it for you).. So I assume you've taken all that into consideration.

Also, I notice that you intend to get another hole drilled in the body (as well as the pickguard). Why not just use the pre-drilled hole used for the jack? More aesthetically pleasing, IMO. Though, u'd have to drill a hole into the side of the body for a new jack, as well as do some minor rewiring. Just my opinion on this matter.

Peace.

4. Bocete

Bocete My E string is 36 1/4" long

Sep 30, 2006
    Don't forget you might need to balance the output in positions 2 and 3. The bridge pickup, IMO, is generally a tad quiet in a mix compared to the bridge pup. Less string movement and all. So I vote 1 for that matter. All IMO.

If you bought a hotter bridge pickup, I'd go with option 2 to bring out the difference.

5. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    No. 3 all the way, you don't want the treble strings getting too harsh.

And Jkambing, cutting into a pickguard is much less work than a clean rout through the body, easier, and cheaply replacable if there is a mistake.

6. IanStephenson

IanStephenson UnRegistered User

Apr 8, 2006
    I'd go with either 2 or 4 (postion 2, but flipped around like 3). I dont' see much point in squeezing another P so close to the original - it'll just sound the same. Even on 2 I'd push it closer to the bridge.

Getting a clean route on a finished bass is tough - at least it would be for me, as my woodworking skills are limited. I have routed a few pickups, and that's easy enough to do a half decent job, but I've always thrown a pickguard over it - as noted, cutting pickguards is FAR easier than making a neat route.

You'll also need a fair bit of routing for the extra control knob, but that's easy, as it's all hidden. I'd go with the control layout you have, rather than drilling through the side of the bass, as all the work will be under the pickguard, and you can always put a new pickguard on, and do it differently if you decide to later on.

7. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    I was just thinking about it, why add a new knob at all, make one of the current ones a stack knob.

Or even better both so its vol-tone vol-tone

8. IanStephenson

IanStephenson UnRegistered User

Apr 8, 2006
    Thats a much easier/conservative project. The routing doesn't need to be perfect, as its all under the pickguard, and with a new bit of plastic you could make it look neater, or even put it back to stock.

9. Ezbass

Ezbass

Apr 3, 2008
    U.K.
    I've already got a really nice P and this was bought specifically with the mod in mind. Tort p/g? I love 'em but I'm gonna stick with the gold one for now (my other basses have tort p/gs so I may succumb eventually), thumbrest already on. Covers? Very tempting, watch this space.

Thanks to all those who voted so far, option 2 looking the favourite with you all so far, keep those opinions coming.

10. #3,the bottom pic.Once upon a time,I modded a Fender Bullet Bass.Took out the mini P-pups,and replaced them 'ala Buzzard-style,back in the 80's.Huuuuuuuge improvement.But,it still didn't make me not trade THE BASS + $75.00-80.00 to one of my old neighbors for an all-original '61 Jazz.STILL smilin' from that deal.

11. davelowell2

davelowell2 Uhh... FaFaFooey is BaBaBooey... Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2006
    NYC via StL
    77-Fender-Precision-Hot-Rod.

I voted for the one like mine.

12. Ezbass

Ezbass

Apr 3, 2008
    U.K.
    Nice:D How does that sound when blended? Can you add just a bit of the bridge without having to turn it all the way up?

13. davelowell2

davelowell2 Uhh... FaFaFooey is BaBaBooey... Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2006
    NYC via StL
    It sounds a little mid scooped when they are both on the same volume. I have two volumes, so you can adjust accordingly. I like the normal P all the way up and the the bridge P about 75%.

14. I'm going number three myself, with the bridge pick-up as close as possible to the bridge. (Another maple-topped Jag, but fretted this time).

Josh

15. for the blending part of PUps... you must first turn all of your PUps on or up... then adjust the heights so that is sounds good!!! that is all the secret!!!

16. Stealth

Stealth

Feb 5, 2008
    Zagreb, Croatia
    Voted the Buzzard model.

17. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    never cared for the tone, but something about the dual P config just looks tough and aggressive, like it's for biker bar metal or something.

18. Ezbass

Ezbass

Apr 3, 2008
    U.K.
    The die has been cast and version 2 is to be the way forward. I've been quoted a very reasonable rate to have it professionally fitted so I won't be hacking it up myself as originally planned. I'll post pics of the finished article when it's completed. Thanks for all your opinions.

19. Ezbass

Ezbass

Apr 3, 2008
    U.K.
    Well the deed is done and here it is with the Seymour Duncan vintage added, I also added a Hipshot D Tuner for the full on custom bass. My favourite sound is neck p/up full on, bridge at about 95% (about 30 degrees off full turn) which just adds that little bit of definition. Full on it's a Jazzish bass sound, but with more balls, just what I wanted. I'll still mainly use it with just the neck p/up, but when I need that extra zing I've got it there.

Ez1.
    Ez3.
    Ez4. Hmm that D tuner is a bit shiny by comparison.