1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

ADGC Cirrus, what strings?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Plstrns, Nov 6, 2010.

1. Plstrns

Plstrns

Feb 4, 2010
    Texas
    Edit- Nevermind, I'm moving the bridge forward. But, if there's a great heavy set out there, let me know. Thanks

I need RW strings .145-.075 (.055) to fit a Cirrus. From ball to nut the bass measures 37". Cirrus strings are ~ 38" to the silk. But, they only offer standard gauges.

I'd prefer to buy inexpensive-ish strings. Something like a XL, Ken Smith's etc... I kill strings, I don't want or need top shelf custom ordered strings for 15-18 songs.

Ken Smith heavy something anothers are great, but the E (D) is too short unless the only set I've seen had a single wrong string. I played with silk half way thru the first fret. Good price around $20 or less.

Any suggestions? Daddario EPS230 sets are about 1/2" too short. I could have a new nut installed and use them, they don't have silk and the whole taper is in front of the nut.

2. knuckle_head

knuckle_head Commercial User

Jul 30, 2002
    Seattle
    Owner; Knuckle Guitar Works & Circle K Strings
    Would you consider going a little heavier on the A?

3. ixlramp

ixlramp

Jan 25, 2005
    UK
    There are strings available with 38 inch windings.

Circle K Strings sell 4 string sets for downtuners, I recommend this tension balanced set, the A will be as tight and punchy as the D:

4 String Set - Balanced Standard 150
    .150 .112 .084 .061

4. ixlramp

ixlramp

Jan 25, 2005
    UK
  5. Plstrns

Plstrns

Feb 4, 2010
    Texas
    Thanks everyone.

In order...

Yes, I am very flexible with gauges. I'll check the Circle K site.

The Cirrus bridge is VERY adjustable. If I tuned standard, the bridge could touch the rear PU and be ok.

Unfortunately, I thought I could move it ~.7" forward and still have enough adjustment in the saddles while getting silks on the correct side of the nut. But, I can only move it .5" or so before running out of sufficient big string adjustment. .5" ain't gonna do it, I end up with tapers butting against the finger side of the nut.

I'll check out those Smiths, thanks.

Paul

6. Plstrns

Plstrns

Feb 4, 2010
    Texas
    Wow, just looked at the K Smith site. They only offer heavy E strings in 36.5" windings. All other strings in 38"? Who came up with that bright idea?

7. ixlramp

ixlramp

Jan 25, 2005
    UK
    Strange, seeing as the Metal Master Heavy set apparently comes with a 38" winding .110 :confused:

Ahh ... :) I see what you were thinking of doing, I misunderstood.

8. Plstrns

Plstrns

Feb 4, 2010
    Texas
    The way they are packaged are just like they offer them as singles in my experience. This is from their web, I'll add red.

SUPER BRIGHT STAINLESS STEEL ROUND WOUNDS
    38" WINDING LENGTH (except where noted) LONG SCALE
    SILK WRAPPED AT BOTH ENDS TO PROTECT YOUR VALUABLE HARDWARE

Code String Type String Gauges Street $
    R + Gauge C's (or wound high F - R.020) .028 .030 .035 $4.00
    R + Gauge G's .040 .044 .045 .050 $4.00
    R + Gauge D's .055 .058 .060 .063 .065 .070 $5.00
    R + Gauge A's .075 .080 .084 .085 .090 $6.00
    R + Gauge E's .095 .100 .102 .105 .106 .110(36.5") $7.00
    R + Gauge Low 'B' (38" Winding - 34" or 35" Scale) .120 .125 .128 .130 $8.00
    R + Gauge Low 'B' (36.5" Winding - 34" Scale) .135 .140 $8.00
    T + Gauge Low 'B' with Taper Core (38" Winding) .T120 .T125 .T130 .T145 $10.00

9. Plstrns

Plstrns

Feb 4, 2010
    Texas
    After looking over your site, I have a question.

On the length chart, what is the 3" above the headstock end 3/4" taper?

10. knuckle_head

knuckle_head Commercial User

Jul 30, 2002
    Seattle
    Owner; Knuckle Guitar Works & Circle K Strings
    The 3/4" taper length is where a three wrap string begins to taper from full thickness to a single wrap around the core so the string will fit into a tuning machine post - 2 wrap strings taper faster and this length is shorter by 1/4" as a result of one fewer wrraps. The 3" measure is the ninimum length of single wrapped core to wrap around the tuning post. This applies to any string on the tuning machine end that is .092 or larger.

Despite a shorter taper length at the bridge I believe Circle Ks give you between 1/2" and 3/4" more fudge factor in overall length than most brands.

11. G.Bisson

G.Bisson

Feb 26, 2009
    Virginia
    I played a five string Cirrus down tuned to GCFGC for over a year in a metal band. The low 'G' was very unstable and didnt sound very pleasant but a low 'A' was earth shaking amazing. Took some searching to find suitable strings for the demanding task. I tried DR lo-riders and hi-beams, but finally settled on Fodera Diamond strings model#50135 (.050 ga - .135 ga). They work very well with extreme detuning. Cost about $29 from juststrings.com

12. ixlramp

ixlramp

Jan 25, 2005
    UK
    I just figured out why ... Many Ken Smith E and B strings are 36.5" winding because a 38" winding is too long for top loading 34" scale basses, since the E or B tuner posts are closest to the nut you would have to wind the string around the post at full gauge, which is a very bad idea. The A and D string tuners are further from the nut. Often the G or C tuners are close to the nut but the string is thin enough to wind at full gauge.

13. Plstrns

Plstrns

Feb 4, 2010
    Texas
    I get the argument, but the B has a 38" winding. Isn't The B string the shortest OAL string on most basses?

Why would the E string be shorter than the B? Wouldn't their B be too long then? If their site had winding lengths recorded with a typo, it wouldn't likely correspond to my experience that their E's are too short- just as they note.

Thanks for thinking about this post though :bassist: good thoughts, I just don't buy it.:meh:

14. Plstrns

Plstrns

Feb 4, 2010
    Texas
    Sweet, good info for cheapish!

I gave in and got some Circle K's. Great strings so far, I'm a fan of new nickels and they have a lot of that sound. They really aren't overpriced @ $41, I just hope they outlast every other string I've ever bought. Because one show gets expensive @ $41. $29 would help, but I was looking for $20ish.

And, I used to complain about the $15 strings when I was endorsed....

Thanks!

15. ixlramp

ixlramp

Jan 25, 2005
    UK
    :) Yes Yes. Their sets, with the 36.5" E and a 38" B as you have experienced, seem insane! :confused: Sets for 34" scale should have both E and B with 36.5" windings.