adjusting the bridge?

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by spacecanoe, Jul 20, 2005.

1. spacecanoe

Aug 6, 2002
    heyguys my new christopher 300 bas has a bridge with them adjusters in it.. my question is, i want to make the action a lil bit higher. its at its lowest point and id like to try and raise it a lil to get more oomf out of it. how do you go about doing this? my only concern is dropping the sound post or something or moving the bridge and screwing up the set up. any tips would be totally appreciated!

im new at this! haha

2. spacecanoe

Aug 6, 2002
    yeaaaaaa thanks for the help kids :meh:
  3. ctxbass

ctxbass Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Central Texas
    Patience, patience.....

Make good mental notes about the bridge placement.

De-tune the bass about a whole step flat.
    If you have good adjusters, properly installed, they should be easy to turn. Keep an eye on the bridge feet when you do this. Sometimes you have to hold the bridge foot straight.

Be sure to turn each adjuster an equal amount. It can be helpful to mark them for this purpose.
  4. Go with central Texas's advice, and (maybe you already figured this out) lay the bass flat -- like on your bed -- to avoid dropping the soundpost when you've got the strings loosened.

And central TX is right, them feet on adjustable bridges can move on you, and get out of alignment with the rest of the bridge, so keep your eye on them while you adjust.
  5. spacecanoe

Aug 6, 2002
    wicked thanks! yea the adjusters were stuck but there moving alot easier now.. man it makes such a volume difference! awsome:D thanks again