Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

advice for a newbie

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by martin.b., Aug 23, 2005.

1. hi guys,
    can anyone tell me if it's possible to alter the action on my DB by moving the bridge. Is this possible? Safe? Does the soundpost need moving? Apologies if this question sounds stupid but i'm just a newbie searchin' for the tone. Thanks

2. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC

Apr 17, 2004
    Well, yes-- in the same way you can stiffen your car's ride by removing the tires. :smug: Translation: "Don't do it!" I assume by "action," you mean the height of the strings off the fingerboard.

On a properly set-up bass, the bridge and sound-post are positioned VERY carefully for the proper sound, effective string length, structural integrity and more...

Adjusting the height of the strings requires a qualified luthier to modify and/or replace the bridge unless, of course, it has adjusters which, I assume, yours does not.

3. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    PLeasetry to get it to a luthier who can advise you on the best course of action.

4. A lot of that tone comes from those things at the end of your arms. I would examine my technique before I started sliding things around.

5. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002

my watch ?!

6. AND your arms themselves as well...

The rule of thumb is that the bridge should stay lined up with the notches on the F-holes. If you start moving it around, it could have a detrimental effect on tone.

Best advice, I think, would be to have an adjustable bridge installed and possibly have your fingerboard dressed in order to get the string height to the point where you feel comfortable and you feel your bass sounds best.

7. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA

Yes. DZ. How else are we supposed to keep time.

8. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    well, i played with a drummer once who said "count off ? we don't count off we just start "
    OY !

9. thanks for the replies(s) guys. guess it's time for the adjustable bridge to come into play. all advice appreciated. thanks again.

10. Tbeers

Tbeers

Mar 27, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Bridge adjusters are a must IMO. I don't know how I would play comfortably through different environmental conditions without them.

Also look at other parts of your setup. Strings, nut, fingerboard, bridge, soundpost, tailpiece, tailpiece wire, and endpin. Oh and the neck itself. That, of course, is harder to modify.