Advice for a short scale EUB?

Discussion in 'Electric Upright Basses (EUB's) [DB]' started by bdengler, Feb 26, 2006.

1. bdengler

Jan 23, 2000
    New Albany, Ohio
    Because of health reasons (arthritis, stretched ligaments) I need to give up the double bass. I've explored treatment options, etc. with three different physicians, and concluded that I need to make a life style change. A full scale double bass is too painful to play. So is a bass guitar (the really bad arthritis is in the thumb joint at the wrist). I found the most comfortable playing position is upright, cello-style, with a shorter string length. Any recommendations on an EUB with scale of about 35 to 36 inches? I had a Zeta Crossover, and a Kydd, which I sold because I didn't like them. The NSDesign Cello Bass is another candidate, but I'm wondering if there are good sounding, cheaper alternatives. Keep in mind I'm not into finding an "authentic" double bass sound. I just want an EUB that sounds good with a shorter string length.

Thanks, Brian
  2. You may want to check out He makes full scale EUB's in the $700 range. There is also a prototype cello listed on his site. I didn't end up buying one of his instruments, as I decided to go the homebuilt route, but he always replied quickly and answered any questions that I asked. He may be willing to make a shorter scale one for you.
  3. bdengler

Jan 23, 2000
    New Albany, Ohio
    Thank you for the advice but the string length is too long. I must stick with 34 to 36 inch string length.

4. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    What about a 1/2-size bass?
  5. bdengler

Jan 23, 2000
    New Albany, Ohio
    Ray, do you mean like a real 1/2 size upright? They sound a little weak and the string length could still be a challenge for me (typically they're 38 to 39 inches). But I appreciate the idea; I had thought about it.

6. mikjans

Dec 17, 2003
    Uppsala, Sweden
    Steve Azola has a new 34" scale EUB out called the Gypsy.

BSX has a 34" scale Flip Bass.

Harry Fleishman also builds 34-36" scale EUBs on and off.

Just to mention a few.

7. Perhaps one of the acoustic bass guitars that has an end-pin may suit?
    I once played a fretless Maton Bindarra that had an excellent sound - it's a huge flat-top ABG with serious acoustic volume. Another one in this territory is the Takamine B10 - it's like an over-sized jazz guitar but has a more URB-like arched fingerboard. With the right strings it can produce a sound that is more URB than ABG, and I suspect it could also be bowed.
  8. glivanos

glivanos Supporting Member

Jun 24, 2005
    Philadelphia Area
    Clevinger makes a smaller scale EUB called the Poquito.

You can check it out on their website
  9. If you are going to play pizzicato and arco, the Kydd Carry-on.

If just pizz, the Dean Pace.
  10. Lou Cicconi

Lou Cicconi

Feb 28, 2006
    My experience...Most EUBs that stand on a pin can be played from a sitting position...(Cello-like)...I use my Palatino in a pit band without a problem...Have used a BSX likewise...My present choral director found me an old round adjustable piano stool for when I work infron of the stage...
  11. Lou Cicconi

Lou Cicconi

Feb 28, 2006
    Must have hit a wrong button...But...My experience has been that most EUBs that sit on a pin can be played from a sitting position by simply lowering the pin...I've played my Palatino and a BSX this way...
  12. speedster

Aug 19, 2005
    Ontario Canada
    I noticed you ruled out the Ergo EUB's due to scale length, you might want to contact Jesse Blue directly and talk to him.

As he is a custom bass builder of EUB's and high end electric bass's with several yrs. experience working in high end bass shops he has the ability to pretty much make what ever you need.

I believe he can make you a custom made short scale Ergo and likely come up with a design to facilitate you playing it sitting down comfortably etc.

All dealings with him have been extremely satisfactory and he is a great guy with lots of knowledge.

Pricing can't be beat either..........

Just a suggestion.
  13. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    I gave Jesse a shout about a 36" scale bass.
    He said he does not make custom scale anymore.