1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

advice needed on buying a new bass

Discussion in 'Ask Ray Riendeau' started by dreads, Apr 23, 2009.

1. dreads

dreads

Apr 23, 2009
    im just starting to play bass i got my self a ibanez SDGR sr300 dxlh it doesent sound right for what im trying to learn can anyone tell me what bass i should get am a lil poor and LEFT handed too i listen o alot of primus ^^

2. chrapladm

chrapladm

Nov 7, 2007
    Adelaide, SA
    As I have learned the hard way......it is all in your technique. You might not have the exact sound you are looking for but if you can get the technique first then you'll realize it is not always the bass guitars fault when it comes to the sound. I have wanted a particular sound and have gone through many basses searching and now I am happy with my 6 string Peavey grind (with Delano pickups). It is a cheap bass with very tight spacing. I dont like the spacing but it has taught be to get better at my technique. As far as the sound.... I am able to get most sounds I have heard that I like(Claypool, Wooten,Flea) I just have to learn there technique and apply it to my bass. It doesn't sound exactly the same but close enough. When you honestly feel your technique has surpassed your bass then order a custom one from a bass luthier. I also found out that instead of searching for a perfect bass for yourself for the sound you should save the money and have someone build you one the way you want. It my seam expensive to order a custom bass but after you have what you want it will be significantly cheeper than trading in bass after bass for the factory one you want. Just my 2 cents.

3. EgoBlood3

EgoBlood3

May 14, 2009
    What chrapladm said.

Type of Bass shouldn't be too big of a factor; when I first started playing it was on a cheap second hand Johnson with an uncomfortable neck.

Either way man asking others what bass to get is not the right way either. Go to whatever store sells basses locally and play them all if you have to!