1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Advice on a bridge

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by bigTbass, Mar 21, 2009.

1. bigTbass

bigTbass

Nov 17, 2008
    PA
    I getting near the end of my first build. It is a 4-string fretless, neckthrough in maple and walnut.

I am getting to the point where I need to pick a bridge, I have a few that I am looking at but would like to hear some opinions

I have on hand a cheap jazz bass type bridge. I think I would like to go with something a little better.

Hipshot A-style - I have one of these on my main bass (a Carvin) I like this bridge but they go for ~$90 which I think it a bit pricey for a first build.

Hipshot B-style - I found these for ~$45, which I think is a good deal. I don't have any experience with them but I don't think Hipshot makes a bad bridge. Unlike the A-style, you can't do strings through the body with these although I am not sure how much of a difference this makes.

Bada$$ - I see a one of these, used, posted on my local CL so I think I could probably get a good deal on one. I don't any any problem using a used part as long as it is in good shape. I am also using scavenged Schaller tuners.

No-name ebay special - I have seen some on ebay that look decent anybody have an experience with no-names?

Thanks for your help

Tom