1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

advice on bass heads

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Phillip Trammel, Jun 15, 2012.

1. Phillip Trammel

Phillip Trammel

Apr 1, 2012
    I'm looking to buy a used micro bass head in the next week due to I'm tired of lugging heavey gear nowadays. I am torn between a genzbenz shuttle a little mark markbass and the new 350 or 500 aguilar. Unfortunatly there is no where close that sales these amps for me to try out. I play a lot of country motown funk style of music on electric and I play a good bit onupright as well so I am looking for a head that could do a descent job in covering these sounds. Any help would be much appreciated from personal use and opinions. Thank you
    Phillip

2. dustinfennessey

dustinfennessey

Sep 29, 2011
    WI
    I use a Genz Benz Streamliner when I don't feel like lugging my tube head around. I have nothing but praise for it - sorry I know its not a shuttle or markbass but thought I'd throw that out there :)

3. Phillip Trammel

Phillip Trammel

Apr 1, 2012
    I have heard great things about those heads

4. Phillip Trammel

Phillip Trammel

Apr 1, 2012
    Very nice I haven't really thought of those I will definatly research them and ty

5. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I probably wouldn't go Shuttle for the type of music you're doing but I might look at the Streamliner. And I'd look at all the other amps you mentioned as well. But as an endorser, I would also recommend taking a look at Ampeg's offerings in the micro department, namely the PF500 and SVT 7 Pro.

:D

6. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Supporting Member

Jan 13, 2008
    The 7Pro is not a micro :spit:

:bag:

:D

7. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Listen, if you think 13 lbs for 1000w isn't micro sized, then you must be the pencil neck geek to end all pencil neck geeks.

Apologies if you're actually a badass ;)

8. jmattbassplaya

Jan 13, 2008
    But seriously, it depends on your tonal goals. I own a Markbass LMIII and an Aguilar TH500. The Markbass sounds a good bit tube-like and it came quite close to sounding like my SVT-CL. That said, it's a very clean amp and it won't growl any. The TH500 isn't as tube-like, but it's still a very warm amp, and on the plus side it can have some nice grit and growl added to it's tone. In addition, the mid sweep knob on it makes it VERY flexible for most band settings.

9. jmattbassplaya

Jan 13, 2008
    It's actually 15lbs :p

Nah, to me micro isn't necessarily all about the weight but also the size of the enclosure. If I can't fit the amp in a gig bag or cable bag then I don't really consider it a micro.

10. lazyone2

lazyone2

Jul 27, 2006
    new jersey shore
    Euphonic Audio Micro 550 weighs less then 3 lbs.

11. musicman666

musicman666

Sep 11, 2011
    ca
    From what you have listed "I" would choose the Shuttle. It has the most flexible EQ on your list. I do not play upright so no opinion with the shuttle and upright. I do have a Little Mark, and while it is a very nice amp, it lacks a little bit of sparkle to my ears, but I hear great things with markbass and upright. Good luck!
    Any of those amps will work great I'm sure!

12. Phillip Trammel

Phillip Trammel

Apr 1, 2012
    These are some great comments and suggestions I am definatly going to research all of these and hopefully be buying from someone off of talkbass this up coming wait. Thank you all