1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Advice on First Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by rawrbassRAWR, Jan 10, 2012.

1. rawrbassRAWR

rawrbassRAWR

Jan 10, 2012
    Hi,
    I'm looking to buying my first personal bass, I've been using one provided by the school up until now. I'm a sophomore in highschool and am looking for a bass to get me through college. I have no idea where to start looking, what I need, or what price range I should be looking at. Anyone have any advice? Seeing as I know nothing, anything would be helpful!
    Thanks!

2. funkstag

funkstag

Jun 30, 2010
    New Zealand
    squire j or p. LTD/ESP also make some pretty solid beginner basses

3. JMimbs

JMimbs

Jan 5, 2012
    Central Florida
    I think either you or the OP might be in the wrong place...

4. rawrbassRAWR

rawrbassRAWR

Jan 10, 2012
    Sorry
    Definately meant double bass, didn't think I needed to specify since I was under the db forum.

5. TroyK

TroyK Moderator Staff Member

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    Yeah, that's good logic. Unfortuntely the response you got happens here all the time.

We've been working hard on the Wiki you were linked to for this exact purpose. Please spend some time on it and let us know where that leaves you.

6. jloehrke

jloehrke

Dec 23, 2010
    A student of mine just bought a Thompson hybrid bass for under 2500, and it's wonderful. Ok case, Gage Realist, Evah strings were included. You could have a career on it if you're a jazz player, and if you're a classical player you'd end up keeping it forever as a backup bass. I think the place he ordered from is called The String Emporium....a google search will turn it up. This might sound like a lot of money, but check out prices for a decent sax, say. You'll always get your money back on a bass unless it gets crushed by a train or something, and it's best to get something that's fun and easy to play and won't bug you so much that you need to replace it soon.