1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Age old debate: DL4 vrs DD-20

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by OrangeSun, Dec 31, 2011.

1. OrangeSun

OrangeSun

Jun 26, 2005
    Boston, MA
    Hey folks.

I am in the market for a pedal that can do tap tempo, multiple delay presets, and looping.

Both of these units fit the bill.

I haven't been able to find much in the way of comparison threads via search, though I'm sure this topic has been covered.

Right now I am leaning toward the DL4 because of the ease of use with the 4 footswitchs live (don't like the idea of cycling through presets with one switch on stage for the dd-20). Also, I want to use the looper for ambient pads and such. I have heard of issues with the dl4 looper clicking but I think that is a universal issue with loopers anyway (Ive never owned one so any insight would be great)

Any and all commentary on the topic / units involved would be great. As it stands now I'll probably go dl-4 and sell it if I don't like it.

2. rratajski

rratajski Commercial User

Jul 1, 2008
    Mount Laurel, NJ
    Builder for FUZZROCIOUS PEDALS
    Dd-20 doesn't do true loops. If you want a looper, look at the dl4, but of you don't need all the extra junk, get a hardwire dl8

3. OrangeSun

OrangeSun

Jun 26, 2005
    Boston, MA
    Well, I want to be able to put delay on the loops and I would also really would like something with a dedicated tap tempo. My main concern right now reading about the DL-4 is an issue with volume dropping when you bring the effect in. Is this a universal thing, or some people have the issue and others don't? Or is it as simple as setting the mix knob all the way up?

4. rratajski

rratajski Commercial User

Jul 1, 2008
    Mount Laurel, NJ
    Builder for FUZZROCIOUS PEDALS
    It's universal. You can get it modded by drasp on Harmony Central.

The DL8 has tap, but you can't delay the loop. Smallest footprint would be a small looper like the dl8 and a small delay since you don't need presets.

5. OrangeSun

OrangeSun

Jun 26, 2005
    Boston, MA
    Sorry if I left that out but I would really like presets. Layout wise I think the DL4 is ideal for me, I just wish it didn't need a mod, especially pertaining to a volume issue. I'm in a pretty loud band so that definitely isn't something I could get away with.

6. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    I used to use a boost when recording loops to keep the volume equivalent when necessary (depended on the other processing I was using at the time). I actually used to use both delays on my board, had a DL4 used almost exclusively for looping and a DD-20 for delays (guitarist in my cover band does the same) but when I went to the M9 and was able to do loops and tap tempo delay at the same time I sold the DL4 and DD20 for the convenience of one pedal. And to cover expenses.

Just throwing this out there, but the M9 is about the same size as the DL4, has a longer loop, and better tone/volume controls for the loops IMO, but that all comes with a price (and a boat load of other effects ;)). That said, I haven't been doing as much live looping now as I used to (that band changed membership/direction) and I rarely use it for my other bands so it's really just stuff I'm working on at home. That said, playing with the M9 at home I haven't had any trouble with volume issues on the loops.

7. +1 on what coreyfyfe said. I have a DL4 that sees no use anymore because of my M9.

8. newbold

newbold

Sep 21, 2008
    Toronto
    I say go for the DD-20 if you just want delay for 99% of players out there.

With an expression pedal I say for DL4 (or M9) because the way the controls work with expression on line6 stuff is that it's going between 2 settings rather than just changing one knob. I can't say the DD-20 doesn't work the same but I don't know if it does and that was entirely useful.

Here's why:

On the rhythmic delays I could go between dotted 8th notes and triplets so I could work offsets without having to tapdance.

On the multi-head delay I could get different head response from the pedal

On the analog I could turn the bass down as the feedback/repeats went up, keeping things clear.

So the gray area between the black and white is really explorable.

If you go M9/13 you have twice the loop time and the build quality's quite good.

I still like the DD-20 for the Boss reliability and sound but FWIW, a modded DL4 or an M9 would be tops for me.

9. DeadPoet

DeadPoet

Jun 4, 2003
    Belgium
    Last year I had an echopark and wanted to change it for a DL4 as well.. then I found out about the M9 (and the expression pedal possibilities it has..) Does everything the DL4 does, heaps more AND had better software in it (sounds heaps better).

Herwig