Aguilar DB900

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by msquared, Apr 6, 2005.

1. msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    I'm in the market for a direct box or two and being an American, I am of course very curious about the item with the large large price tag: the Aguilar DB900 tube DI.

Does anyone have any experience with these? I see that they get raves from magazines and so on, but we're not exactly talking about chump change. I have to wonder what specifically is so great about them. Super functional? Really hifi? Really great colored tone? What problem do they solve that a mic pre with instrument input such as the FMR RNP doesn't?

I am a recording equipment gearhead and I am no stranger to what a $2500 mic preamp brings to the table, but I haven't seen a lot of info on these.
  2. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    I haven't tried either but I've read a lot about them - don't forget about the Demeter tube DI.
  3. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    I've run thru the Demeter and it is a good piece but I still think the Avalon U5 is more open and less colored. I play at a large Church in Detroit area with a really good soundman who also is a pretty good bass player. He prefers my avalon to the Demeter tube box run thru an Agular DB 680 (the churchs rig) ! I'm not saying its better just worth a look.