Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Aguilar DB900

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by msquared, Apr 6, 2005.

1. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    I'm in the market for a direct box or two and being an American, I am of course very curious about the item with the large large price tag: the Aguilar DB900 tube DI.

Does anyone have any experience with these? I see that they get raves from magazines and so on, but we're not exactly talking about chump change. I have to wonder what specifically is so great about them. Super functional? Really hifi? Really great colored tone? What problem do they solve that a mic pre with instrument input such as the FMR RNP doesn't?

I am a recording equipment gearhead and I am no stranger to what a $2500 mic preamp brings to the table, but I haven't seen a lot of info on these.

2. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    I haven't tried either but I've read a lot about them - don't forget about the Demeter tube DI.

3. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    I've run thru the Demeter and it is a good piece but I still think the Avalon U5 is more open and less colored. I play at a large Church in Detroit area with a really good soundman who also is a pretty good bass player. He prefers my avalon to the Demeter tube box run thru an Agular DB 680 (the churchs rig) ! I'm not saying its better just worth a look.