1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Aguilar OBP-3 Question!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by carlospppena, Mar 17, 2009.

1. Hello All:

The Aguilar OBP-3 promo says that you can switch select the midrange boost-cut either in 400h or 800h.

In a forum here at Basstalk, I got the impression that the Aguilar OBP-3 preamp could be wired with a midrange sweep.

Is this true???????????????????????

Best Regards,

Carlos Peña

2. RedLeg

RedLeg Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2009
    Kaiserslautern, Germany
    Nov Shmoz Ka Pop?
    i just put one in my thumb. they ARE sweepable. there are a few different options that the guys at bestbassgear.com sent me, but i just went with the easiest option. but 400 and 800 are really great fixed points IMO
    http://aguilaramp.com/pdf/support_wiring_obp3.pdf
    check last page of pdf

3. RedLeg

RedLeg Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2009
    Kaiserslautern, Germany
    Nov Shmoz Ka Pop?
    Carlos,
    I know what your trying to do with only 3 knobs. I had the same dilemma with my warwick. I wanted pretty much the same thing you wanted:
    3 stack pots
    (vol / blend) (mid / mid freq) (treble / bass)
    but I had to go with
    (vol / vol) stacked 250k
    (mid with push pull @ 400 & 800) push pull 50K linear DPDT
    (treble / bass) stacked 50K
    in order to get mid level and mid freq stacked, you would need a 50K linear / dual 500k linear taper. And thats a pretty tall order. not saying they dont exist, I just can't find them. For the vol / blend the MEC pot that will do it is expensive, and too much resistance (500K) for my tastes and the pickup manufacturer recommendations.

Honestly, the Audere classic 4 way with the Vol/Bal; H Mid/Tre; L Mid/Bass (3 stacked) option prewired with all pots would have been a better choice for me.

4. dear redleg:

thanks tons. i will give your suggestion serious consideration...

best regards,

Carlos Peña

5. Yes, you can sweep mids on that preamp. Get the wiring diagrams from their website, it has the sweepable mids as the 3rd option if I remember right.

Randy