Aguilar or orange or ...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bassduckkk, Oct 28, 2011.

1. Bassduckkk

Bassduckkk

Oct 28, 2011
    ive been looking into getting a small amp head, ive recently just sold my ashdown because it was quite heavy. ive tried an aguilar tone hammer witch i thought was amazing and fittted the tone i wanted but its quite costly, also i tried an orange tiny terror witch was good for its size and weight. im open for any suggestions for amps and cabs. can anyone help me ??

2. nostatic

nostatic

Jun 18, 2004
    Lompoc, CA
    Endorsing Artist: FEA Labs
    You'll need to give more details for anyone to give decent suggestions. For instance, what kind of music do you play, do you gig and if so what kind of places, what tones do you like, what basses are you using, which Ashdown did you have and did you like that sound (and what cab were you running), etc.

3. Bassduckkk

Bassduckkk

Oct 28, 2011
    i apologise for being so vague, im currently playing various styles of music from soul funk to hardcore and metal, currently im playing an american fender jazz, the ashdown was a mag 600 andi did like the tone of it it was just a burdon to carry that amp head and a flight case. i like using warm round tones but it varies with whatever im playing i like versatility the cab i was using was an ashdown 4x10

4. Mr. Foxen

Mr. Foxen Commercial User

Jul 24, 2009
    Bristol, UK
    Amp tinkerer at Ampstack
    Problem is versatility vs. having to twiddle knobs to get sounds. Ashdown stuff has loads of knobs so you can get a fair variety from them, but you have to work for it. The Ashdown 4x10 might also have been a limiting factor, they aren't especially transparent.

The Orange bass terror has very little tonal control, and far too much gain, you have to swap around valves to clean it up, but once you've done that, it has a pretty reasonable one size fits all sort of sound.

5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 14, 2021