1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Aguilar Tone Hammer

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by AfroMan Skeeter, Apr 27, 2009.

1. AfroMan Skeeter

AfroMan Skeeter

Dec 12, 2007
    I have had a pre/power amp set-up before and was pretty pleased with it. For reasons I can't justify now I sold that set-up. With some fresh cabs I am considering going back to that set-up, getting rid of the Genz-Benz GBE 600 for the Aggie pre-amp (which would mate well with my Aggie GS212).

I've been reading through some of the forums, but haven't really figured it out >_< Is the Aguilar Tone Hammer the same thing as any rack mount preamp, just in a stomp-box?

Along with that I would need to buy a power supply, would a pedal board supply enough power? Or do I need a special adapter?

2. jimmy rocket

jimmy rocket

Jan 24, 2008
    Ayden, NC
    It's basically the same as a rack mount preamp. There's been some back and forth on here about whether or not the output is high enough to use as a standalone preamp. My experience has been that that works just fine.

It's got an 18v power supply so unless your board is capable of 18v you'll need a separate supply.

It is a sweet sweet pairing with GS cabs in my experience. I run two GS112s with a LMII and while the LMII sounds great, the tone hammer has given me the ability to get a deeper "rounder" sound out of those cabs.

3. AfroMan Skeeter

AfroMan Skeeter

Dec 12, 2007
    Thanks Jimmy. If it seems to work for you then I'll trust your first hand experience.

I thought I would have to get an 18v power supply, which is just as well seeing as I don't have the pedal board yet. I was just curious as to whether or not it'd be a good investment while buying the Tone Hammer.

Since you have the preamp and a pretty close set-up as far as cabs go, is the set-up pretty versitile? Or is it geared towards one sound more than the other?

4. jimmy rocket

jimmy rocket

Jan 24, 2008
    Ayden, NC
    It's pretty versatile. My main band is a straight ahead indie band (a la death cab for cutie) but I've also used it touring in a pit band for Godspell and the occasional folk/bluegrass/gospel gig around town. The LMII on it's own is warm-ish for a solid state amp, but the Tone hammer gives me a better handle on the mids. (and we all know mids are where the tone lives! :))

I can't seem to find it now, but there was a long TH thread on here a while back debating it's use as a stand alone preamp, Dave B. had some good words on it's actual output, etc... that might help you out.

5. AfroMan Skeeter

AfroMan Skeeter

Dec 12, 2007
    I'll do some searching for that thread, thanks for you input too. Greatly appreciated!