1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

AI Upshot with mic, feedback risk?

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by GregDB, Jun 19, 2019.

1. GregDB

GregDB

Aug 22, 2006
    For amplifying my bass I always use a mic. To minimize feedback risk during jazz gigs, I place my GK combo amp next to me, or even a little in front of me. That works great: the drummer and me can still hear the bass enough.
    Now I am considering a new setup, with the Acoustic Image Upshot (next to me or in front of me), driven by a separate amp head. But since the Upshot fires its sound upward, how would that work with a mic? Can I expect more feedback than in my old setup with the combo amp?
    To reduce feedback risk, could I place the Upshot at an angle, so it fires the sound more forward than upward?
    Any thoughts, any experiences are welcome.

2. AGCurry

AGCurry Supporting Member

Jun 29, 2005
    St. Louis
    The frequencies where we live radiate pretty much omnidirectionally regardless of which way speakers are pointed, so I would not expect a significant difference in feedback. The more important factors are the pattern of your microphone, and how close you can get it to your instrument and still have a good sound.

GregDB, Ric Vice and cdavisshannon like this.
  3. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    Greg,
    I'd take a look at the Double Shot vs the Uphot. I got a chance to hear both of those speakers at the ISB convention week before last. While the Up Shot sounded decent, the Double Shot sounded great. It weighs 15 lbs and is really small. Since you didn't mention what kind

of microphone you use and there's nothing in your profile, it's hard to offer any opinions. Just my take of course. You can purchase the cabinet alone

Jun19_PG_LNU_AcousticImage_WEB.jpg

4. Dr. Love

Dr. Love

Nov 5, 2008
    Lubbock, TX
    Positioning will be a factor that increases or decreases the occurrence of feedback, but every mic has feedback potential.

5. What I can add is I've had no feedback issues from the Upshot with a pick up through a Clarus 1, which is less feedback than with a GK 200MB, which sometimes, not very often, did give some feedback at higher volumes.

6. GregDB

GregDB

Aug 22, 2006
    Thanks for the replies so far! They really help me in my thinking and deciding.

My microphone is an AKG "pencil" type condenser with cardioid pattern, an SE300B with CK91 capsule. Great for double bass: full sounding low notes, and detailed plucking and bowing sounds.
    Blue line Series
    AKG P1000292.JPG
    See the photo for the mic placement. It is quite close to the bass top. (I know the bridge was bent there, it has been replaced.)

For phantom power I use a small pre-amp with XLR-in and jack-out.
    I am considering the combination of a TC Electronics BAM200 and the AI Upshot as my new amplifier system.

Kristian likes this.
  7. GregDB

GregDB

Aug 22, 2006
    Ric: I have seen the Double Shot on the AI website. It looks too big (in power and size) for my gigs, I'd like to try the more compact Upshot first.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2019
  8. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    It's way smaller than it looks. You don't have to buy the amplifier, the cabinet is sold separately the difference between the two are pretty minimal. So unless you're in New York, Toronto, or Chicago doing the trains....... Just my take of course.
    You have to buy what's within your budget and meets your needs. Since I don't know what you're using for an amplifier it's hard to give an opinion, ultimately that's up to you anyway. Cheers.

Double Shot Dimensions

Enclosure - 12 inches diameter, 11 inches wide
    Weight -15 pounds Rated at 4 ohms, 600W

Upshot Dimensions
    • 300w • 8ohms • 11" diameter x 6" high • 11.5 lbs

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 27, 2021