AI, Yi, Yi!

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Big Bass Daddy, Jul 6, 2004.

1. So I really thought the AI Combo was the ticket until reading recent posts about issues with the downfiring speaker.

I recently acquired a plywood Strunal and have yet to get a p/u for it. On my old Kay I used one of the old clip-on the bridge pups and it always sounded dead. I have since sold that stuff and am looking for something for my Strunal.

I've read about the P/U the world and the Fishman full circle (I don't have an adjustable bridge). Also the Realist sounds like an option.

I play Gospel, Bluegrass and Jazz and enjoy playing Arco as well as Pizz.

Anyone out there that can advise me?
  2. JJBluegrasser

JJBluegrasser Wannabe Snazzy Dresser

Apr 17, 2003
    USA, Raleigh, NC
    A perusal through the newbie links will prove to be very useful in your search for this answer. That being said, I too play alot of bluegrass, etc, and I think that the Realist is a good pick up for me. It really gets that thump across well. You won't know for sure till you try it, but I don't think you'll be too disappointed if you try the realist.

Happy Hunting!

3. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    Don't discount the AI Contra completely until you've tried one yourself. I play traditional stuff as well, and I really like my Contra. Of course, I'm using a mellower tone than most jazzers might like and most of the time I'm only using the amp for a very slight volume boost. If you play festivals, where you have to get on and off stage quickly, the small size and convenience of the Contra can't be beat, IMO. The small GK combos are easily moved, but don't sound nearly as natural to me.
  4. Adrian Cho

Adrian Cho Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2001
    Ottawa, Canada
    I'm one of those that has posted about the problems with the downfiring woofer and I did use an AI Series 1 combo for about two years and also trialed a Series 2 for about a month. It's still a very good box and to be honest for a plywood and especially playing bluegrass, you may find it fine. The only way to know is to try it yourself.
  5. I recently upgraded my rig to a Full Circle and an AI Contra. So far, I've got nothing but kudos both from the bandstand and the audience (that is, musicians who are in the audience).

One thing I noticed, though, is that this setup reproduces your sound transparently enough so that it reveals any not only the true sound of your bass, but also any deficiencies that might be present.

Fr'instance, I needed new strings. The Obligatos had long since worn out their welcome, and I knew it whenever I played unamped. But my old rig (Underwood thru a G-K 800RB) added enough color, gain and high-end 'zing' that it kind of compensated for the deadness of the strings (it didn't sound like my bass, though; more like an electric upright). The new rig told me instantly, "time to get some new strings."