1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Airplane-safe Electric Bass Case?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by dblebassgirl27, Jul 27, 2012.

1. dblebassgirl27

dblebassgirl27

Jul 19, 2012
    WI
    Not sure if this is exactly "Misc." but I couldn't find a gear section. I am supposed to travel with my Jazz class from Milwaukee WI to Atlanta GA for a Jazz convention and we may have to bring our instruments. Are there any Airplane-Safe electric bass cases or is it ok to go with a hardshell?
    I did post this before but I think the thread got lost because it was from a week ago.

2. Jazzkuma

Jazzkuma

Sep 12, 2008
    the ideal thing would be a good gig bag (I use reunion blues) and take it with you to the gate. Ask if they can put it where they put the coats or overhead (if its not too crowded). If they don't let you do either then tell them to gate check it, this is what people do with wheelchairs, baby strollers...etc so they generally take pretty good care of it when you gate check. I have never done the hard case option...im too afraid because you never know which gorilla will be working and throwing your bass around.

3. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/skb-ata-bass-case

If you have the money and want a hardshell to keep for a long time, I'd get that one. I bought mine about a month ago because I wanted a hardshell case for my Sadowsky. Three TSA Agents thought it was a rifle. I was not overly concerned for my bass while it was in that case. The wheels are a major bonus.

I have also flown using SKB standard cases. I put duct tape over the latches, and the bass was fine. I did that with two different basses and cases. Once in 2001/2002 with a Pilot Plus 5 in a standard case, and then in I think it was 2004 with my StingRay5 in the OEM case. Their Deluxe Universal case looks pretty good to me. It has the same latches as the ATA case.

4. Fergie Fulton

Fergie Fulton

Nov 22, 2008
    Braintree
    Retrovibe Artist rota
    First thing is check their T&C to see if musical instrument is listed as baggage. If so you will pay to have it on the plane.
    Check the price of a seat against the carriage of the instrument in the hold.
    If the seat is cheaper, buy you bass a seat.

Airlines have a discretion to make up and interprete rules, so even if you do it all right and correct they can still refuse to take the Instrument.
    Gate checking again is discretionary with some, so weigh up the chances that it might get put in the hold against the type of case/bag you use.

One of the better cases is

http://www.gatorcases.com/p/16204-1478/gpe-bass-tsa

Or if you want just un-bolt the neck, bag it, take it on a standard hand luggage, the put it back together on the other side.......be careful.....some times the confiscate the very tool you need to re -assemble it:crying:

5. dblebassgirl27

dblebassgirl27

Jul 19, 2012
    WI
    Thanks for all the input I will check out the links above and figure something out, the trip isn't til January 2013 so I can start saving money now. :)