Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Akai Deep Impact Petition?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by svenbass, Nov 5, 2005.

1. svenbass

svenbass

Dec 12, 2002
    Boston
    Here's an idea, maybe a long shot. It seems that the lust for the Deep Impact has driven the used market to astronomical levels, so why don't we petition them to do a re-issue? I don't know how difficult it would be for them, but I would assume that if they were presented with a solid, and well organized demand for a product that has already been engineered, they might be game. I wouldn't know how to go about creating an easily accessible online list, so if anyone has any ideas, fill me in. If there is enough interest I'll do my best to see it through.

The other option is to surround the factory with 400 bassists and threaten to all solo at once. At the very least, they would probably pay us to leave! :D

2. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

They sell on eBay for about the same price they did new.
    This pedal was pretty much a commercial failure. They only started selling when they went on sales.
    Anyway you'd need more than a petition to achieve that. You'd want pre-orders.

3. Bassmanbob

Bassmanbob Supporting Member

I don't know how they sold when they were being made, but they now fetch about $300- $500 here in the United States used on ebay or here at talkbass.

That's a lot more than the price when it was being made. Maybe it has now come into its own at too late a time. I've got one, love it and haven't even explored it beond the presets. It's a great pedal.

4. Jazz Ad

Right. Is sold for 250 list in USA, so around 200 street.
    400-450 would have been the price in shops around here. :(

5. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    If Akai reissues it they will take a page from the Ibanez RI book ($169 for a TS?) and charge ridiculous prices for it.

6. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    If they charged how much they were selling for used now, then at least the used price wouldn't be so rediculous.

7. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Like we don't know ourselves huh? We will scoff at the RI prices because the original units have a "warmer, more organic sound". Thus driving OI prices higher and guaranteeing that the overpriced RIs will bomb. This is why Akai will never make them again :)

8. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Syciprider wins :)

9. Gyoon

Gyoon

Nov 12, 2004
    Toronto, Ontario
    Aren't musicians just pathetic in that way? I spent around $350 on a used Digitech Whammy for just that reason. When I put the two side by side I couldn't tell which was which. If there is indeed a difference between new and re-issue, it takes better ears than mine to sort that out.

Glenn

10. Jazz Ad

I just like the idea to own a used, banged effect/amp/instrument rather than a brand new one.

11. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK

I agree with that. I love it that some of the gear I own is older than me. My Mutron is... 13 years older than me!

12. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    What if someone made a clone instead? There will probably be patent problems (or is it copyright?) but a clone will not have to suffer through the inevitable new vs old comparisons.

We all know the company that can pull this one off. :hyper: and sell it for under 100 clams.

13. Jazz Ad

What if a company bothered making a brand new synth instead ?

14. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    There was a thred recently where someone mentioned a pedal called the "wolftone chaos" and said it got very synthy.

Remember that synth, is basically fuzz, filter and octave in myriad combinations. I can get good synth sounds from my fuzz, mutron and boss oc-3.

[My favourite ones still come from my Deep Impact ;)]

15. Cantstandsya

Cantstandsya

Jul 27, 2001
    Fontana, CA
    Behringer?

16. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    :ninja:

:Tenchu shuffle:

17. I don't want a reissue..... mine is worth more every day I hold onto it. I go to flea markets trying to find them. I'm just waiting for the Canadian dollar to tank back down and I'll sell it off to one of you great folks in the U S of A.

The last one I was watching on evilBay went for 544 CND. Considering I got mine for 325 CND... it's almost like Google stocks.

18. Cantstandsya

Cantstandsya

Jul 27, 2001
    Fontana, CA
    Ok, how about Tech 21. Everything they make is pretty good...........

19. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    I'll be selling mine very soon. :D

20. NewAndImprov

NewAndImprov

Oct 17, 2005
    Wow, I had no idea these were going for so much used, but I'll probably never get rid of mine. Bought it used a few months after they came out for about $150, and I love it. Best synth pedal I've used, after a Korg G5 (always sounded kind of thin and weak, though it had one very sibtle envelope filter setting I liked), and EH Bass microsynth (really a different breed of effect, fun and chaotic, but not reliable) and a boss SYB ( sounded OK, but didn't track very well). The Akai tracks in a very musical way, it's totally responsive, and sounds great.