1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

AKG C414 vs. FISHMAN FULL CIRCLE

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Bajosintrastos, Apr 2, 2015.

1. Bajosintrastos

Bajosintrastos

Jan 14, 2010
    Madrid (Spain)
    Endorsing Artist: Sandberg Basses Basses. EBS Amps/Effects
    I know there are other posts about these two, but just want to share my experience testing both.
    Love the sound of the AKG, but I always add a little of pick up. And live, only the Fishman in my in ears for definition.
    I'm trying different placements and settings for the AKG. Suggestions and ideas welcome! Thanks.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2015
    rickwolff likes this.
  2. rickwolff

rickwolff CGJ -- Endorsing Artist-- ---3M Dual Lock--- Supporting Member

Muy Bien ! Thanks for posting. Nice playing, sound, (and great video production). I wasn't familiar with the AKG so I checked it out online and as soon as I saw the price I realized I'll be sticking with my cheap mics. Maybe someday.

As usual, I think the mic sounds a whole lot better than the pickup, but, like you, I use both. In my case a Gage Lifeline (which I think is most appropriately named as it has truly been my lifeline on many occasions.)

I am experimenting with various inexpensive mics, but as I noted in an earlier post ( I FINALLY found 'MY SOUND' | TalkBass.com ) my best success with mics comes from using them for recording and not so much for stage amplification

3. Liked best the sound of the mic in the bridge legs.

4. robgrow

robgrow Supporting Member

May 1, 2004
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I'm not sure if I understand the comparison. Almost any microphone is superior to a pickup for recording in a controlled environment. Live in a loud, noisy environment is a different story.

BTW there have been several versions of the AKG C-414 made over the years, and they can sound quite different from one version to the next. The earliest versions in good condition with the original brass capsule are in demand now and can command impressive prices.

Ross Kratter and MR PC like this.
  5. MR PC

MR PC Banned

Dec 1, 2007
    Ahh, the live mic dream is alive and well. Nice clip. The 414 has never been a first choice mic for me in the studio environment, as usually where there is a 414 available, there are others available that sound better on bass, and cost about the same. I think for live use, there are mics costing way less which get the point across without the risk of depression after the drummer or singer trips on the mic cable and pulls the stand into the top of your instrument.

rickwolff and robgrow like this.
  6. peterpalmieri

peterpalmieri Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Babylon, NY
    I haven't done this in a while but what I've found worked with the 414 was 12" or so from the bottom of the treble side F hole and a small diaphragm mic pointed at the fingerboard, something to maybe try out. Like others said in a profession environment there are better choices and this won't work live but I'm guessing you're trying to get a good recorded sound at home using what you've got and I think you are doing just fine with it. My experiences are not as vast as most and here so take it with a grain of salt.

robgrow likes this.