1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Alain caron sound

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by CavinTan, Oct 31, 2013.

1. CavinTan

CavinTan

Mar 1, 2011
    Hey guys, i'm trying to get an alain caron sound.. What are your suggestions in terms of pups and preamp to acheive such a sound? I was thinking if an audere 4 band + maybe area J pups

Any inputs will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

2. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    It's quite a hi-fi sound. You're probably pretty on-target with the Audere preamp - because the Audere is so transparent. But pickups? I doubt that Alain uses anything quite so traditional or vintage in tone or style as the Area Js. Think wide-frequency humbuckers instead.

Alain Caron has truly phenomenal technique. AFAIC, he's a great example of what is meant by the phrase, "His tone is in his hands." :meh:

MM

3. JP Morin

JP Morin

Mar 15, 2011
    Quebec
    He uses Fbass. It would be a good place to start, with an ultra clear and clean preamp / amp...

He's slap sound is amazing !! and fretless work so great !! It would depend which you want to achieve ??

4. CavinTan

CavinTan

Mar 1, 2011
    Sorry just to clarify, it's the fretless. any ideas what humbucking jazz pups would be good?

5. On his signature bass, he's got a piezo system as well as a stacked humbucker at the bridge - so, maybe something like a Nordstrand Fat Stack?

http://www.fbass.com/models/model/ac

Caron is such an amazing musician. It has been too long since I last listened to him…time to dig up some old Uzeb tracks!

6. CavinTan

CavinTan

Mar 1, 2011
    Only looking for JAZZ pickups. Thanks.

7. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Supporting Member

The tone he uses is very far from what J pickups typically deliver. To get close with a J you'd have to resort to fat and modern sounding PUs, something like Delano JMVC or Seymour Proactive.
    By the way, I'm in a masterclass with Caron tomorrow. Should be great!

8. staccatogrowl

staccatogrowl Savoring time on a spinning, shimmery, aqua sphere Supporting Member

Jul 14, 2006
    Listen, practice, transcribe, practice, study, practice, memorize, practice, practice, practice. . . Then, repeat.

While contemplating other tonal elements, one might also consider the myriad Roland contributions to the tonal equation. . .