1. Please read before selling or posting: TalkBass DB Classifieds Rules and FAQ
  2. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
    TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

For Sale Albert Krell 1884 (new with soundclips)

Discussion in 'For Sale: Double Basses' started by JLubinsky-Mast, Dec 2, 2017.

1. JLubinsky-Mast

JLubinsky-Mast Supporting Member

May 18, 2007
    Vancouver BC
    British Columbia
    I want to list this instrument at $10000 Canadian Dollars.
    So depending on how our respective economies go, USD is currently in the $7900 range.

This is a bit of a feeler add.
    I'm still unsure I want to let this bass go, I do love it, but, I've been on the road a ton these last couple years, and this bass has remained at home mostly in it's bag during that time.
    The next couple years are looking to remain the same, with the addition of a bunch of fly-out dates and overseas tours on the horizon, it's time to make a move for something a bit different.

I purchased it in Ottawa as an "Unkown German bass" from 1884, and was told that there were reasons to believe that it could be something else and left it at that.
    The work done to the bass before I owned it was done by Mario Lamarre, including a new fingerboard, neck correction, and a "very" raised saddle.
    After three hard Canadian prairie winters this bass needed some heavy work done to it. When my partner and I moved to the West Coast, I took it Gerard Samija, a tremendous luthier here in Vancouver, who brought this bass back to life.

Albert Krell Maker Cincinnati Ohio 1884. "It has been overwritten with '1900' and in smaller print possibly '1898' ".
    The question is whether Albert Krell made the bass himself, or imported this bass from Europe. If the pencil markings are correct, this could have been one of the last instruments he made before his death in 1900, as stated here:
    Information on Albert Krell, violin maker in Kelbra, Germany

The only other information I've found about Albert Krell is about his piano company here:
    Krell | The Antique Piano Shop

Since owning it, I've added a Full-Circle pickup, and a Gotz end-pin.
    Currently, the bass is wearing Innovation Braided strings (i believe, they have black silks). This bass sounds great with guts, spirocores (reds great, weichs not necessarily my fave) Animas, Olives, Belcantos (on the top). I was never too psyched on Obligatos or the D'Addario orchestral strings.
    It bows really well.

Also included with the bass, is a Romanian made bow, German grip and a high quality well-padded case that came with the bass.

I am on the hunt for either a second American Standard, or a King Mortone late 30's - early 40's.

Sound clips can be heard here, click on the profile name for full playlist:

String Length : 42 1/4"
    Rib Depth : 8" (6 1/2" at the neck)
    Lower Bouts : 25 1/4"
    Upper Bouts : 20 1/2"
    Body Length (body to top of neck button) : 44"
    IMG_4093. IMG_2662. IMG_2753. IMG_2754. IMG_2752. IMG_2751. IMG_2750.
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2018
    Laura Camacho likes this.
  2. JLubinsky-Mast

May 18, 2007
    Vancouver BC
    I'm currently on the road for the next two weeks, so I can't provide exact measurements until I get home.
    In the meantime, here are some clips from the last show I used this bass at, Full circle directly into a small Traynor combo, volume somewhere between 0 and 1 (barely on).

mindwell likes this.
  3. Richard Simon

Richard Simon Supporting Member

Dec 6, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    John, I presume this is the bass you mentioned on the phone. She's a beauty, all right!
    Let's aim for Monday for an audience with the King...
    - richard
    conte2music and JLubinsky-Mast like this.
  4. Richard Simon

Richard Simon Supporting Member

Dec 6, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    Joseph, Good to see your 'OK Krell' back at the top o' the totem pole. Any chance you'd be bringing her down to the Lower 48 any time soon? I am on the prowl for a bass of that vintage and (almost) that price range. Am due to view a restored 7/8 Czech towards the end of this month, and would like to have yours to compare it with.
  5. JLubinsky-Mast

May 18, 2007
    Vancouver BC
    Hi Richard,
    I wish I could get outta the rain up here and got some California rays.
    Unfortunately I don't think I'll be there until September, unless this European tour falls through.
    Good luck with the Czech bass.
    Just got the King set-up with a full-circle and guts. It's sounding great!
  6. JLubinsky-Mast

May 18, 2007
    Vancouver BC
    Got together with a friend over some beers yesterday and recorded some simple soundclips of this bass.
    This playlist has some simple bowed stuff and simple pizz. A sample through a condenser mic, and a beta 57 (which I often use live)
    The condenser clips are much louder.

7. JLubinsky-Mast

May 18, 2007
    Vancouver BC
    The US dollar is worth $1.30 CAD as of today.

This bass is still around, just spent a couple hours with it. It's sounding pretty great, I think it sounds fuller as the weather warms up a bit.