Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Albums featuring good blues bass playing.

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by speedrabbit, Jan 7, 2006.

1. Hi all

Heard a great blues track the other night featuring a brilliant bass solo from Abe Laboriel. Would like to follow it up with some more tasty blues bass playing, but not sure where to start. Would appreciate it if you could recommned some great blues albums that feature really good bass playing.

Cheers

Speedrabbit.

P.S It's my 1st post so go easy with me!

2. Hello Speedrabbit and a warm welcome to TB. :D

I cannot answer your question as such... In fact I'd very much like to ear what others say on your thread. What was the track / album / artist you heard (forgive me but I've never heard of Abe Laboriel)?

I guess you're looking for blues bass solos? I mean, for great rythm-section blues bass playing Tommy Shannon (with the late Stevie Ray Vaughan) and Andy Pyle (Wishbone Ash, Gary Moore of late) are two top guys.

Best regards.

John

3. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    Johnny B Gayden & Roscoe Beck are another two to get you started. :bassist:

4. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    Thr first two Fab Thunderbirds CD's-Keith Fergason
    Any thing with Willie Dixon or Rance Knowling.
    They are upright players, but great bass lines.
    Hollywood Fats-CD-Larry Taylor.
    ABB-Live at the Filmore East.
    Supersessions- Harvy Brooks- Killer.

5. Captain Beefheart - "safe as milk" "Trout Mask" "lick my decals off" - you may wanna try Leadbelly "My Last Go Round" double CD (particularly "Black snake moan") as well, some nice low guitar/bass riffs in that

6. appler

appler Guest

I really dig Completely Well by B.B. King with Jerry Jemmott on bass. His lines are classic.

7. Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I'll check them out asap. It will make a nice change from playing I'm A Believer and Mustang Sally for the 92nd time with my function band.

8. Loel

Loel Blazin' Acadian Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2004

+1 mojo-man, on Larry Taylor
    >here's a couple
    >Jazz & Blues fusion,John Mayal w/Larry Taylor on bass
    >Darrell Nulisch, Business as usual,Black Top records
    >w/Steve Gomes,on Bass,CD BT 1070 :cool:

9. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    Darrell Nulisch,thanks.
    Steve Gomes, is very cool.
    He and Mudcat Ward are two,great blues bassist that everyone does not know about.