Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Alembic question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 4string4ever, Dec 12, 2004.

1. 4string4ever

4string4ever Guest

Apr 18, 2004
    Orlando, Florida
    Ok, Alembic brainiacs......is it possible to purchase low pass filter electronics and q switching only from Alembic to install on, say, a Persuader? The idea is to not replace the entire existing stuff on the bass, but rather to add to it. The Alembic website is less than clear on this.......

2. Sonorous

Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    I believe its possible if you feel like spending $500 for a few knobs.

3. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    i was wondering about this too, im sure that those filters will be expensive i wanted to made a jazz with alembic pickups the AXY (or something like that) cost 700$ USD and come with a 2 band preamp and no filters

4. 4string4ever

4string4ever Guest

Apr 18, 2004
    Orlando, Florida
    As a matter of fact, I DO feel like spending $500 for a few knobs....

5. Sonorous

Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    Ok, your emphasis on the word, "do" makes you seem defensive. I wasn't trying to offend you or anything.

If thats what you want, its cool with me. Those few knobs do amazing things. I would suggest contacting Alembic directly.

6. 4string4ever

4string4ever Guest

Apr 18, 2004
    Orlando, Florida
    Yes, I'm sure my demaenor appeared that way.......I had just been involved in one of those DP Custom bashing threads.....I was trying to head off the lynch mob.......

7. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    Buy an SF2, it's basically the same thing, but with twice the number of filters and a lot more flexibility in a seperate rack mount box. They go for <$US500 all the time here or on ebay.

8. Sonorous

Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    This page has info about Alembic's pickups and on-board "EQ" and also has a link to a price list.

And this one has information about Alembic's rackmounted preamps, in case you're interested in one of those.

9. 4string4ever

4string4ever Guest

Apr 18, 2004
    Orlando, Florida
    Yeah, I saw those pages. I didn't know that the sf-2 would be pretty much the same thing. The electronics page, though, is not clear as to wether or not you can purchase and install the afforemention components apart from the rest of the guts. Thanks for the heads up.

10. Sonorous

Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    I don't know if you would get that super clean Alembic sound with just the filters, I think you would need to replace the pickups too anyway.

11. 4string4ever

4string4ever Guest

Apr 18, 2004
    Orlando, Florida
    The pickups are already MXY, which other models use with the filters, no? :confused:

12. Sonorous

Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    Oh. Duh me.

Try contacting them directly. Their phone number is 707-523-2611.

13. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    The onboard Alembic filters are simply a low pass filter (called a state variable filter) with either switchable of continuously variable 'peak' at the point where it rolls off, ie the 'Q' adjustment. The SF2 is the same thing, but with even more flexibility. There's two mixable channels and you can set them low pass, high pass and bandpass.
    Sonorous is correct that the pickups will make a difference too, and the pickups on the Persuader won't give you a Series sound (if that's what you're looking for) irrespective of whether it's a PJ, JJ or MXY arrangement but the filters should get you closer to a SC/MK sound, depending on the pups you have installed.

Unless you're good at electronics and woodwork, either send it to Alembic and get the onboard work done (or to another decent luthier), or get the SF2, it will be the cheapest option. Perhaps there's an Alembic fan near you (try the Club) that will meet and allow you to try a bass with the filters in it and an SF2.

I'd ask this at the Alembic Club, or better still, phone them and ask direct. I had some enquiries recently and rang and spoke with Susan Wickersham for some time and she explained exactly why some things could/couldn't/were done. Answered all my questions in a couple of minutes straight from the source.

14. 4string4ever

4string4ever Guest

Apr 18, 2004
    Orlando, Florida
    Thanks guys for the info and advice.

15. ezstep

ezstep

Nov 25, 2004
    north Louisiana
    Why not go to the Alembic forum and ask the same questions? You'll likely get more Alembic knowledge there from their answers. Its on their website.

16. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    You can add the filter and a q switch to an Alembic that came without. You need to buy the AE-1 filter ($350) and the Q switch ($45). Thene you have to drill some holes...

17. troll

troll

Aug 31, 2000
    Chicago area
    If you want to do something like that, just buy the DOD filter box (fx25? iirc) and take it apart and wire it in line, mount all the controls and a switch, and away you go. Less than 100$ investment. I've though about hot rodding some axes I have with stuff like that. Onboard overdrive and filter...

Troll

18. alembicbones

alembicbones

Nov 10, 2000
    Seattle, WA
    Given your situation, I'd volley in another recommendation for the SF-2. Lots of tonal flexibility with the distinct Alembic vibe.

Bones