1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Alembic sounding pickups?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Clarkus Miller, Mar 16, 2009.

1. Clarkus Miller

Clarkus Miller

Oct 5, 2008
    Alembic humbuckers sound AMAZING. I can't even describe that fat chunky sound. Can anyone think of pickups that sound like that that don't cost oh... 900 dollars...

Thanks in advance.

2. Mike Shevlin

Mike Shevlin

Feb 16, 2005
    Las Vegas
    I don't think even Alembic pickups in a different body would sound like Alembic.

3. evilgus

evilgus Supporting Member

Feb 27, 2006
    Sydney, Australia
    Do you particularly mean the FatBoy pickups, like on the Excel, or the MXY pickups? I had a '95 Warwick Thumb bass (neck thru) with Seymour Duncan Basslines (probably ASB-II model) and the overall sound was fairly similar to an Alembic with MXYs. I've also owned an Excel with Fatboy pickup and that was similar but chunkier, as you said. :)

Cheers,

EG

4. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    They aren't exactly humbuckers, they are stacked single coils. They really needn't be so expensive as there's not much to them. But they are Alembic.

5. thrill74

thrill74

Feb 2, 2009
    Louisiana
    Q-Tuner?

6. AlembicPlayer

AlembicPlayer Im not wearing shorts

Aug 15, 2004
    Pacific Northwet, USA
    the pickups in a Alembic Series I or II bass are single coils with a dummy hum cancel pickup and a filter based pre. I have "Alembic Activators" in my P bass and Jazz bass, they sound fantastic and are like the second cousin to the series sound. Nice, but not Series bass by a long shot.

7. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    I had a few Alembic pickups to look at, two Jazz Activators, and two AXY pickups. I was surprised that they read around 7K to 8K. I was expecting low impedance pickups. They were very low output without the preamp though, probably due to the stacked arrangement.

I know the Series I has the "humx" dummy coil, but doesn't the Series II have the stacked AXY pickups?

My old active low Z pickups were supposed to sound like Alembics. I'll be reintroducing those as stacked single coils soon.