Alesis MultiMix 8USB Mixer??

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Skerik1, Oct 12, 2004.

1. Skerik1

Sep 21, 2002
    Saint Paul, MN
  2. Droog

Aug 14, 2003
    It does not really say in that add, but I am willing to bet that the usb connection simply mirrors the stereo buss. Meaning the Master L/R output is probobly all that goes down that USB cable. Especially looking at the price point. If you want something that will transfer multi track such as the direct outs of each channel, check out the Mackie Onyx stuff. Its firewire, not usb.
  3. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I'm sure your correct about the Alesis, would be the steal of a century otherwise.

I think you could do more than one stereo mix via USB with software on the other end to sort into wdm or asio inputs though right?
  4. Droog

Aug 14, 2003
    I think you are right, you could pass the data, theoretically anyhow, but its not really being done that much. Did'nt Tascam have a couple of pieces that would do multi down the USB? Any how firewire being quite the robust protocol that it is tends to get the multi channel attention.
  5. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I was always curious about it, really because USB is capable enough that it could be done. I've not actually seen anyone doing it either though. Not sure about Tascam.
  6. jeff schmidt

jeff schmidt no longer red carded, but my butt is still sore.

Aug 27, 2004
    Novato, CA
    I have this mixer. It is not a "digital mixer".

I use it as a matrix to mult 3 basses thru and return echoplex and other fx signals for live play. It's really compact (I place mine on top of a BOSS VF-1 box and it fits perfectly) It's easy to operate but it does get quite warm.

The USB sends and receives to/from the "tape" buss only. It does not send descrete channel audio. So - the USB is useful to record a 2 mix to a computer or play audio from the computer into it - in effect giving you an extra stereo channel in.

It's a little noisy for my tastes - but what do you expect for $150.00.

The 99 preset on board fx are reasonable quality - you can't tweek them or assign different effects to different channels on the 8 USB version. I don't record with it. At $150.00 it's a pretty disposable peice of gear. I took a chance on it and got more than $150.00 ever seemed to use to buy.

I wish they made a higher quality version (less noise) with the same size and features - then I would feel comfortable recording with it.
  7. DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    I'm playing around with one of these units right now.

I'm having trouble getting a low/no latency signal to/from the mixer and computer while using Cakewalk GTP3

Anyone have any setup tricks - beyond the recommendations for the Cubase LE setup?

I understand from the manual that the Multimix 8USB usb out monitors the Main Out stereo signal but you can jump this signal across the tape out/tape in via stereo RCA jacks. However, latency doesn't disappear when doing this...

Has anyone found a better workaround? asoi4all drivers perhaps?