Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Alex Webster anyone?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Big_d, Nov 20, 2004.

1. Big_d

Big_d

Aug 31, 2004
    ive been listening to alot of cannibal corpse latley and my god is alex good his solos are great and his lines are pretty damn amazing (IMO) for a metal bassist hes one of the best

anyone else listen to cannibal corpse/ like alex webster?

2. SlavaF

SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB
    Yep, he's an amazing bassist (gotta love his headbanging technique! :D) but CC is a tad too cookie-monster-ish for me.

3. DrBadTouch

DrBadTouch

Nov 19, 2004
    Illinois
    As far as straight-up death metal bassists are concerned, it's hard to beat Alex Webster. Unfortunately a lot of people are too turned off by Cannibal Corpse's concept/image and vocals to give them credit for their musicianship.
    It seems to me that CC didn't really come into their own creatively until Gallery of Suicide. Perhaps Chris Barnes was holding them back in terms of what they were doing musically and technically. Does anybody else get this impression? Compare Corpse post-Barnes with Six Feet Under (Barnes post-Corpse.)

4. haven't heard a lot of them, can you recommed a cd to start???

5. Big_d

Big_d

Aug 31, 2004
    tomb of the mutilated (got their best song Hammer smashed face on it), Vile or Gallery or suicide

they are pretty tough to get used to but they are also an awsome band and i love the vocals

oh and Butchered at birth is also an awsome album :cool:

6. flea-bass

flea-bass

Jan 30, 2004
  7. yeah he's an amazing bass player. i love his 3 finger technique. One of my all time favorites.

8. Boozy

Boozy

Apr 29, 2002
    Kelowna BC, Canada
    i i captain.

i love CC.. love his bass tone, one song that really brings his tone out that comes to mind is staring through the eyes of the dead...

the bleeding rocks, frick, they all rock.

9. I'd like to hear some of their more recent work. Last thing I heard from them was Vile. The Bleeding kicked ass, too.

Six Feet Under sucks. Barnes, get a real job. I hear they're now hiring at McDonald's. Butler, you're the worst bassist I ever heard (well, after Sid Vicious, of course).

10. Don W

Don W

Jan 30, 2004
    East Bay, CA.
    You should check out Gore Obsessed. I thought it was pretty good. There is some complex meter stuff in there and the riffs are pretty good overall. Especially Pit of Zombies.

I don't know if you can still get the version that has a cover of Metallica's "No Remorse" but if you can it rocks.

11. Big_d

Big_d

Aug 31, 2004

you can get the cover of no remorse of the Worm infested EP

and yes it does kick ass

12. Don W

Don W

Jan 30, 2004
    East Bay, CA.
    Yeah, I was just listening to that EP last night. Good stuff. That's one of my favorite cover songs ever. It's like ten times heavier than the Metallica version ever was.

13. Big_d

Big_d

Aug 31, 2004
    oh yeah and i love their cover of black sabbaths Zero the Hero
    man they kick ass

14. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I dig the CC, but to any concerned parties, I'd recommend checking out post chris barnes cannibal corpse. Barnes just does the low stupid grunts... whereas Fisher does a wide range of stupid grunts... ahhh much better. I can actually understand fisher, which is weird.

Orgasm through torture is one of the best metal songs ever... conceptually at least. It's hard to beat CC for death metal that is complex, yet borderline catchy.

15. Don W

Don W

Jan 30, 2004
    East Bay, CA.
    Same here. I don't even like the Sabbath version of that song but their cover is cool as hell.

16. Big_d

Big_d

Aug 31, 2004

barnes in CC is one of the best death metal vocalist ever after he left and started six feet under he tried to IMHO copy fisher and hes ****in horrible at it. but anyway i guess everyone has their opinions