Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

All-strings-dropped question!!!

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by tormentamental, Jul 20, 2005.

1. tormentamental

tormentamental

Jun 17, 2005
    In my band I play with this tuning: Db-Ab-Db-Gb... I like to play this way and it really fits the kind of music we make but the thing is, I´m not completely satisfied with the sound I get (too much fret-buzz, etc.).
    I know a lot of bands that use this kind of tuning or even a lower one (Kyuss and Alice in Chains, just to name 2), so I´ve tried to look for information on their bassists´ setups, but I couldn´t find any.

Could you give me some advice or suggestion on this topic, as well as information on some of those bass players?
    Thanks a lot... my bass is a ´93 Jazz Bass with 0.45-.105 roundsteel strings.

2. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    You've got a few options...

use heavier strings.

Raise yer action way up.

get a bass with a longer scale length.

3. when you drop tuning like this, some things that will help with things like fret buzz:

1. Heavier gauge strings...this will help bring back the tension lost when you detuned.

Try to locate a decent string tension chart for the brand that you like (not that hard to find really). This will help you select the right gauge.

2. Raise the action...lower notes mean bigger vibrations...bigger vibrations mean more room needed

3. Adjust relief as necessary (may be necessary, but not always).

4. Adjust your playing technique...lower notes require a little more finesse.

finally....GO FOR IT!....you'll learn heaps from the endeavor.

4. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    What they said :D

Showed up for an audition. "Did the drummer tell you we use drop tuning?"

Luckily I keep my P bass at a medium action (some would call it high) as recommended on the Fender site. I also have Labella Deep Talkin' flats 105-45 which are fairly high tension. I bet Chromes or Fenders flats in the same gauge would work too.

No problems at all, and I play fairly hard. YMMV.

5. bannedwit

bannedwit

May 9, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    +1
    That is how they do it.... Also, give your bass a full adjustment and setup...

A lot of people play guitar and bass one way and have it set up beautifully for that tuning. They go lower or higher and it sounds like what you are saying. Give the bass a full setup like truss rod, intonation and saddle raise / lowering to get that same sound you are looking for and beefiness....
    Do the above also!

Note, once you set up the bass for this tuning, you shouldn't go back to standard unless you want to set it up ALL Over again! This means the bass will be dedicated to your band and not to you or for your personal training and practicing in standard tuning...

OR get a 5 string hehe..

6. Audiophage

Audiophage

Jan 9, 2005
    Heavier strings are not needed, I use that tuning for some songs with my band(the others are just standard down a half step), and use the same gauge of strings with a similar type of bass. Just set your action a bit higher than you would normally use for standard tuning.

You could try the heavier strings if you want to, its just that they may not be necessary, all of the advice in this thread is useful for you. But, just to warn you, you may have a hard time adjusting to the different gauge at first.