Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Alleva-Coppolo

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by west*coast*bass, Jan 2, 2006.

1. west*coast*bass

west*coast*bass Supporting Member

Dec 6, 2003
    Agoura Hills, CA
    Does anyone in here own one of these basses? If so, can you tell me what they are like?

Are they just another Jazz bass on steroids or is there more to them?

Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks.

2. Rock City

Rock City

Apr 8, 2001
    Boston,Ma
    No hype, just "the goods"! Seriously, these are ENTIRELY hand-built by Jimmy Coppolo. He cuts the bodies and necks(yes he does, they are not CNC), he builds the preamps, he winds the pickups, blah...blah. The only thing he doesn't do is the paint. He sends those out, and most are sprayed in real nitro. The "modern" style basses are sprayed in poly.
    For anyone not familier with Jimmy, he is a master luthier, and sevices ALOT of high profile players. He wanted to offer a bass to players that is actually hand-built, and not assembled. If you get a chance to play one, I think you'll be totally blown away! The fretwork alone is a work of art.
    One nice thing about Jimmy is that he's a no B.S. New Yorker. If he promises something, it will happen!!!!!
    Corey

3. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Knowing Jimmy's reputation and what he puts in to these basses, it's about the only jazz style bass I'd buy.

4. Dave Hill

Dave Hill Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    I used to live in NY, I think before he started making his own. He and his instruments have a great reputation. Never played on though.

5. RoVaughn

RoVaughn

Oct 8, 2005
    His instruments are the truth. Definately on the same level with Sadowsky. And like what was said in the preveious post, he is a straight up kinda guy. He doesnt try to SELL his basses. The quality and craftsmanship speaks for its self.
    they are just really high priced though.

6. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    What kind of price tag do these things have?

7. west*coast*bass

Dec 6, 2003
    Agoura Hills, CA

They hover in the $3K range. I am VERY SERIOUSLY thinking about purchasing one...

Thanks to all for your input. I do appreciate it.

8. brianh

brianh

Aug 19, 2005
    NYC
    Endorsing: Epifani Amplification
    I've played a few AC Jazz'z and P basses at Jimmys shop. If if I had the bread, I'd buy one in a second (or Sadowsky or Mike Lull....).

9. west*coast*bass

Dec 6, 2003
    Agoura Hills, CA
    Well, I will be getting a Mary Kay White LG-5 with a madagascar rosewood board.

I should have it by the end of next week, I'll post pictures as soon as it comes.

Here's a picture of the body. It should be completed early next week.

Peace!

10. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Man, that's going to absolutely kill!!!!!

11. west*coast*bass

Dec 6, 2003
    Agoura Hills, CA
    Yeah, I can't wait. There's one for sale on bassgear right now too.

12. mike sancho

mike sancho SANCH

Feb 10, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    I played one when I was in NY last year and had I not just bought my Metro I would have left the shop with bass in tow. The neck on the one I played was nothing short of perfect. all sorts of tone and as playable and balanced as it gets!

13. Peter Parker

Peter Parker Banned

Jun 10, 2001
    I've played one recently and it played great. It's neck was similar to my custom shop Fender which is the best neck I've felt. I much prefer the AC neck to any Sadowsky, though the Sadowsky neck plays good, too. The tone was quite good. My only concerns were the less han good B string and the pups seem to have maybe a little more single coil hum than others I've heard. the owner of the bass confirmed that it was a real issue in several places he plays and is looking for a replacement pup, maybe Nordstrand, though he wants to keep the single coil tone.

14. west*coast*bass

Dec 6, 2003
    Agoura Hills, CA
    Jimmy sent these to me tonight. Patience and excitement combined make me confused...:help:

Anyway, I thought you guys might like to see a few more as the bass gets closer to completion.

Mark

15. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    congrats, I can't wait to see the finished bass!!

16. west*coast*bass

Dec 6, 2003
    Agoura Hills, CA
    Here are a couple more pics courtesy of Jimmy C. I got these tonight when I came home.

17. Bassist30

Bassist30

Mar 19, 2004
    NEW YORK
    I know Jimmy. He did my fret job for a 5 string music man that I still have. Great work. He loves vintage stuff. Not that my Music Man was vintage but, It's one of the original (1st year) that the MM 5 came out. The paint was peeling off and it looked like something out of the 50's. But Jimmy loves that. A very good friend of mine called me and said if i can run down to his shop and play one of his basses against my NYC Sadowsky. Sort of A/B them and see what was the difference as we are both Sadowsky fans. My friend was having his built (Alleva-Coppolo) and it was not as of yet completed. But Jimmy had a few basses there to try. His shop is near 48th street in manhattan and i wanted to look at the many music stores there ( use to be even more but thats the business of today I guess). Got tired at looking at mostly middle of the road gear and went to Jimmy's to test his basses out. Walked in which i had not seen the inside of his shop for a few years, since he left the shop he had around the corner from Sadowsky when he himself was in Manhattan. Well making a long story even longer. I walked into his shop and noticed there wasn't high end gear laying around like he use to have like Vintage fenders, (50's and 60's) MM, Aguilar's, etc etc. Just a few amps and basses (Vintage) strings and a few of his own basses. I new right then he was serious about what he is doing. At first I was unconfortable because here i am A/B ing a Bass. But he seemed cool with it. He had an Aguilar I believe a 359. Took a Silver Bass off his wall and played it. Now my friend loves my bass and always said if i wanted to sell it he would buy it. Its a very good sounding sadowsky. Ok I started playing it and right away I noticed the warmthness of the low B. Not muddy at all. Not to say my sadowsky is muddy in fact its a great sounding B. But the Alleva-Coppolo had a great presence and warmthness as well. Very big. Than I picked up my sadowsky right away and did the same. The B on the Alleva-Coppola was more pleasing to me. Similar to a 36 inch scale sounds. I played the bass again and the tone was amazing. It had a beautiful rosewood on maple neck. The feel was also great. Similar to a Sadowsky which also has a great feel. Im not a person who knows the demensions of fenders and the c or b style necks, but they were similar in feel but The Coppolo felt slightly smoother. Again I was going back and forth constantly between the 2 basses. Tone wise the Coppolo had a little more vintage flavor to it. Although again both have a similar sound but the Coppolo had a over the top presence to it. Punchier too. Definitely will fill a room. I called my friend and said.. well it sounded better than mine. Then he was asking the thousand questions with excitement, "How does it slap" Great! "How is the feel of the neck" Great "How is the finish" Same as the old fenders... Paint will start looking vintage in a few years.... "How was the overall tone" Fat and extremely punchy.... "How does the sound compare to yours" I like the Alleva - Coppolo better. That blew him away as he loves my bass. He has it now and he is extremely happy with it. So much he has a 4 and a 5 string.
    Now Im not knocking Sadowsky and i wasn't really. I love my Bass. But things change. People change. I just feel the newer Sadowsky's are not built as well as his earlier models. Only my opinion. Im not a fan of graphite rods in necks, or fixing things when they don't need to be fixed. I feel many start out looking to make a great product. Then the money comes in and you want to make more. Than you start to look for ways to make more and ways to make it easier, to make more, at a given time. Then there's models in other countries because its cheaper to make. Than there is the cheaper models. All companies do it in some way. Look at mostly all the luthiers out there. Jimmy right now is at the level where he wants to make a Great Bass. That's the beginning for all luthiers. Than you do and people want it. Now the money comes in. Now there are more wanting it and you get a few helpers. Than more want it and you start to get them made by people you don't see everyday, and to watch over the product. Than you want even more money and you make it in far away places where maybe you never visited. Jimmy will have to make his decision when he comes to it. There is no question alot of people are going to want to buy his basses. I do. Very Badly.
    The money situation is stoping me right now but I will try my best. Like others will. He will sell alot. At this point he will have to make a decision. Right now his basses are the best.
    Again my opinion.

18. west*coast*bass

Dec 6, 2003
    Agoura Hills, CA

I appreciate your insight. Your response only makes me want my bass to come sooner, thanks for posting.

I'll get more pictures up and a full review once the bass arrives.

19. Bassist30

Bassist30

Mar 19, 2004
    NEW YORK

You Better. Love his basses. Let me see the pick which will inspire me to save up for it this year.:hyper: