Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Allparts BRO 5 string bass neck

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by angrydad, Oct 30, 2004.

1. angrydad

angrydad

Jul 31, 2004
    annville,pa.
    Hello fellow closet luthiers. Allparts offers a 5 string bass neck, the BRO 5, that (I believe) fits a standard Fender 4 string neck pocket. I'm waiting for Allparts to email the nut width, and 21st fret width dimensions. I've been told that they are the same as a MusicMan 5 :1 3/4" nut, 2 3/4" at the last fret.
    Anyone out there have any experience with this neck ?
    P.S. I'm hip to Warmoth, USA Custom etc... I just happen to have a 4 string J bass body in need of a neck, so......

2. angrydad

angrydad

Jul 31, 2004
    annville,pa.
    The web site only provides a photo with the following info : 21 frets, 3x2 tuning peg arrangement, 10'' fretboard radius...no width dimensions.

3. Angry, a 4 string Fender neck is 2½" wide at the heel. A five string is wider - ALWAYS. It won't fit.

4. The only company I know of that makes 4-to-5 (or 6) conversion necks that fit into a standard Fender 4-string neck pocket is Zolla, http://www.zollaguitars.com/ .

Mike

5. angrydad

angrydad

Jul 31, 2004
    annville,pa.
    Hambone, do some research and you'll see that conversion necks ( 5 and 6 string) do fit standard Fender 4 string neck pockets :ALWAYS. As Mike Zimmerman stated, Zolla Guitars makes them, and has been offering them for years.
    Once again, I know what's out there. I'm a 20 year working professional bassist/guitarist, making a living with instruments I've assembled from Warmoth, Hosono, Stew mac, etc. parts. I'm simply asking has anyone had any experience with this particular neck(Allparts BRO 5).

6. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    While Zolla does, in fact, make a conversion neck that will fit a standard 2 1/2" Fender pocket, the dimensions that you list in your first post, (2 3/4" at the last fret) will not fit any Fender four string that I've ever encountered... That being said, I am not seeing the BRO dimensions anywhere, but am relying on your posted dimensions... a typo maybe??

-robert

7. angrydad

angrydad

Jul 31, 2004
    annville,pa.
    rllefebv, the 2 3/4" dimension stated is the width of the fingerboard (not heel) at the last fret. I'll be calling Allparts today to confirm this as they've been slow to reply to my email inquiry.
    Once again, if someone's had experience with this neck, let me know... If not, see ya.

8. Come down off of the angry attititude there Pop. You don't have a corner on the experience market and we aren't enemies. I think the answer is here and that might be a good thing since these vendors sometimes take their own sweet time when responding to inquiries.

Nowhere in the Allparts catalog does it mention anything about the BRO-5 fitting a 4 neck pocket. "BRO-5" is easily deciphered to mean (B)ass (RO)sewood - (5) string, simple as that. No mention of the rather unusual feature of a wide fretboard over a smaller neck back OR a narrowed neck heel. One might think that such an unusual neck configuration would be competely described by Allparts so that there were no misunderstandings when ordering. One might also be on track to assume that there would be some indication of this feature in the part number since all of the other necks have an acronym to relate to their construction. There are 2 other clues that this isn't what you are looking for...first, In all of the necks offered by Allparts, the BRO-5 is the ONLY wood 5 string neck offered by Allparts that is NOT a Fender replacement or paddle head. I imagine this is to give the client a choice should they not want a usual Fender style neck on their construction. Second, the enlarged pic on the Allparts site shows the heel of the neck doesn't sport the characteristic narrowing needed to fit the 4 string pocket. You would be readily able to see it in that pic.

Now a question for you. You are the first I've heard of that has used an Hosono part (body?) outside of Ibanez and some top players. Are they exporting goods and/or are they even accessible to small builders like myself? I'm always looking for resources and the Hosono name has popped up occassionally but I've never met anyone that's even handled their product. Thanx for the help.

9. angrydad

angrydad

Jul 31, 2004
    annville,pa.
    Hambone,
    No angry attitude and no enemies here, just facts :) . As a 40 year old bassist, who has been knee deep into every aspect of the instrument (playing, construction, manufacturers, etc.) since age 11, I was simply stating that I am very well informed about what's out there. I never claimed to have a monoply on the "experience market".
    Now, to put an end to this BRO 5 runaround, here are the specs I recieved from Allparts :
    -nut width 1 3/4",
    -width at last fret 2 3/4"
    -HEEL width 2 1/2" :Fender 4 string spec.
    So,once again, if anyone has had experience with this neck, I'd like your opinion.
    As far as Hosono goes : I believe they no longer provide parts to us little folk. The body, that I have (6 string j-style) is about 10 years old. I think they stopped taking orders about 3, maybe 4 years ago. Their stuff was AWESOME !!!