1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Almond Oil??

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by mightyd, Dec 9, 2006.

1. mightyd

mightyd

Nov 25, 2006
    My teacher says that the neck of my double bass, (the back of it- where the palm goes) isn't sealed properly. and she advised me to rub some almond oil into it....

What does this do? Will it stay oily forever?? i don't want oil on my hands everytime i play bass...

2. nicklloyd

nicklloyd Supporting Member/Luthier

Jan 27, 2002
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Watco Danish Oil- Natural- is an excellent oil sealer, and dries in a day or two. You can find it at Lowe's or Home Depot. Use sparingly with a paper towel.

3. Eric Rene Roy

Eric Rene Roy

Mar 19, 2002
    Mystic, CT
    President: Upton Bass String Instrument Co.
    I think almond oil is not a drying oil... (maybe they meant walnut oil? that is a drying oil)...and therefore would actually get gummy and gross after awhile. Stick with drying oils...like what Nick said.

4. spaghettiwestern

spaghettiwestern Supporting Member

Mar 9, 2005
    Greater Boston Area
    My favorite is Tung Oil, available at some hardware stores and most / all woodworking shops. Dries in a day, seals nicely. You can do multiple coats if you want.

There is a brand that has a "glossy" version, which I don't recommend for necks. This brand also has additives in it that I don't like. If you can get pure tung oil, that's my favorite.

EDIT: Not pure tung oil. Read below.

5. The Tung oil I've used seems to be more like a varnish. I also agree with Nnick - Watco Danish Oil. I've used it on bass necks and fingerboards for over 40 years and never had a problem with it.

6. spaghettiwestern

spaghettiwestern Supporting Member

Mar 9, 2005
    Greater Boston Area
    So, I went and checked the labels. The Tung Oil I like isn't 100% pure after all. It has drying agents in it, which helps it cure in a day rather than a month. Pure Tung Oil doesn't dry.

Here's an interesting discussion of oil combos:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=15837

It also mentions Watco Danish Oil. I've used Watco in furniture applications and I think it would also work well for necks, though I've never tried it.

Here's the stuff I've used lately. It's worked really nicely without any buildup.

http://www.jasco-help.com/products/prod_wft.htm#4201-2

The stuff I DON'T like is Formby's. Theirs tends to be very varnish-like:

http://www.formbys.com/products/tung_oil.cfm

7. Martin Sheridan

Martin Sheridan

Jan 4, 2001
    Fort Madison, Iowa
    Bass Maker
    Sweet almond oil used to be rubbed onto gut strings back in the good old gut string days. You can get it in a health food store and it might be good on salads but I wouldn't put in on the neck.